Railroad Forums 

• Remembering Those Who Stepped Up

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1490788  by Kelly&Kelly

Today marks the 100th Anniversary of the end of WWI. Let's remember those who stepped up to defend our Republic and keep the American way of life safe for us and our families. When I hired on the LIRR, it was operated by veterans of several wars. Let's remember their contributions.
 #1490817  by R36 Combine Coach

Kelly&Kelly wrote:When I hired on the LIRR, it was operated by veterans of several wars. Let's remember their contributions.
Is that where the "We serve with pride" motto found throughout the fleet originated?
 #1490828  by Kelly&Kelly

Former LIRR president Col. Francis (Gabby) Gabreski was the Army Air Force's top flying ace during WWII and the Korean conflict and a prisoner of war in Germany. He was the 30th president (or trustee) of the Long Island Rail Road.

He coined the motto around 1978 to lift employee morale and public image of the railroad. When the Mechanical Department began affixing emblems bearing the motto to engines and cars, Gabreski met criticism from the MTA. Nonetheless, he insisted the motto remain. He resigned the railroad in 1981 after four years on the job.
Last edited by Kelly&Kelly on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1490829  by krispy

Outstanding post K&K. A lot of people came through Camp Mills (Garden City) and Upton to get sent into that brutal conflict. A few years back a few guys whom I served with in a NY ARNG unit went to go tidy up a memorial just south of the Clinton St. station on the Garden Secondary, and we were pleasantly surprised to see the locals kept it immaculate, and came together on Vet's Day to remember those who went through Camp Mills. One such person was Joyce Kilmer, a poet ("Trees" and "Rouge Bouquet", about some fellow soldiers who perished in a trench and the members of the 42 ID read it over each funeral. Eventually they read it over Kilmer's grave not long thereafter). The current CO of the 1/69th carries the crucifix he wore when they are deployed, and unfortunately they have been more "over there" than here the last 2 decades. :( Another one was Father Duffy, many of you have seen his statue in Times Square, across from the TKTS kiosk, who started as a chaplain in a unit in the Spanish American war, and was at Montauk when they returned at Camp Wikoff. He survived WW I and served in a nearby church in NYC until his passing. And all rode the rail - "Lest we forget!"

<<rest snipped as answered better by K&K -edit>>
Last edited by krispy on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1490831  by Kelly&Kelly

Gabreski did say the five stars represent the five counties. They clearly shared other meanings to him also. To minimize criticism, one of the criteria in making a logo was that it could easily be constructed at low or no cost. Both flag decals and star decals were readily available, so they were used. The Mechanical Department actually did it.
 #1490837  by nyandw

Starting in late 1979, the geeps and L2s also received the red stripe. The president of the LIRR at that time was Francis Gabreski, a World War II Ace. With his tenure, a degree of patriotism came about the Railroad regarding various markings. These included naming snow-fighting equipment after WWII aircraft (such as Thunderbolt). It also brought about the use of the American flag, an arrangement of five stars, and the slogan, “We Serve With Pride” on rolling stock. These three graphics usually were used together, but sometimes appeared in any combination. And these are still used today. Info: Al Castelli

I'm glad I could add a bit of material to the thread in honor of the fallen many years ago.
Camp Upton for a look back: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Camp%2 ... 0Upton.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Camp Upton postal material: http://www.trainsarefun.com/trainsandst ... stamps.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1491240  by BuddR32

One of the nicest MofE Traditions is the annual Memorial Day Ceremony at Hillside, I try to make it every year.

I was happy to see the "WE SERVE WITH PRIDE" logos make a comeback on the current fleet.