Railroad Forums 

• Remains of B&M Belmont/Bristol Branches?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#666375  by B&Mguy

I was wondering if anyone one here can tell me if there are any remains of these two branch lines in New Hampshire.

I know the Belmont branch was very short and was abandoned 80 years ago, but I think I was able to locate the ROW on google maps. I was amazed that it still seemed to be fairly intact after all these years. Are there any artifacts on this line like bridge abutments or old buildings?

I’m also interested in finding any remains of the Bristol branch. I was unable to trace the right of way, probably because it was located on the Pemi floodplain and was probably washed away. Does anyone know if anything remains of this line?

Thanks!
 #730721  by heb

Looking at satellite maps (terraserver), it appears that the Belmont Branch deviated from the main line in back of where the new Hampton Inn stands now, on the south side of US Route 3, just west of the Tilton Mall. I've never walked the route, but have recently read that all the trackage and bridges were pulled up around 1934; that doesn't mean there still isn't anything there though, just not likely.

I've already answered your Bristol Branch question and have confirmed that response on 9 October 09. There are remnants but you really have to work at finding them; its tough hiking through all that wilderness.

heb
 #747570  by parkeryoung

new member here with a little info. my interest in railroads was partly sparked by watching the occasional old geep delivering single boxcars to Quin-T on the remains of the Belmont branch. I'm sure there must still be some remains of the roadbed left. My father says he used some of it as log truck road in the early 80s.

there is quite a bit of info on the Old Hill Village area (home to some of my family before the dam) including a great book published by the Hill historical society, I believe. roadbed in the flood control area remains. it's been 10 years but when i was last there there was also still a mile marker somewhere north of the Hill-Sanbornrton bridge abutments.
 #1177686  by EdHiller

We ave located and restored the granite foundations of a locomotive turntable in Franklin NH. It served to reverse locomotives working on the Franklin to Bristol line.
This turntable is located about 1/4 mile south of the location of the Franklin Station at Depot st. For further information, contact the FNRT web site.

Ed Hiller, Friends of the Northern Rail Trail
 #1178828  by toolmaker

EdHiller wrote:We ave located and restored the granite foundations of a locomotive turntable in Franklin NH. It served to reverse locomotives working on the Franklin to Bristol line.
This turntable is located about 1/4 mile south of the location of the Franklin Station at Depot st. For further information, contact the FNRT web site.

Ed Hiller, Friends of the Northern Rail Trail
Ed, I'm adding a link to help people find your organization. http://www.fnrt.org/index.htm