Railroad Forums 

• Remaining turntables in New England?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1430698  by trainsinmaine

The old Athol roundhouse of the Boston & Albany's Athol Branch is still standing. The branch was abandoned in 1935 at the time of the construction of the Quabbin Reservoir. Curiously, a quarter-mile or so of the rails are still there, long dormant, heading toward the Athol depot which the line shared with the B&M's Fitchburg main. Adjacent to them, next to the B&M, stands the brick roundhouse, which is now used by a local person for storage. It is accessible, to an extent, by car or by foot; the access is a bit hard to find, and it's barely worth the effort. Unfortunately, the building is surrounded by an industrial fence and a lot of junk. While one can walk right up to it, it's actually far better seen from the other side of the B&M. Contact me if you want directions. I don't know whether the turntable pit is still there; if it is, it's not readily visible.
 #1430991  by kwf

Washington Jct has remnants
44.555215, -68.378831

Bucksport
44.580318, -68.807480

NMJ looks filled in
44.790460, -68.865355

Bangor gone
44.785960, -68.777393

Keag gone
45.516753, -68.350499
 #1431205  by b&m 1566

I quickly browsed through the thread, it doesn't appear to have been mention yet so... Caribou, ME has a Turntable and Roundhouse that's still in place.
 #1431283  by arthur d.

Just remembered, the remains of another one in North Conway. Its on the east side of town on the mountain division. Pretty overgrown last time I saw it.
 #1433170  by arthur d.

Dick H wrote:Portsmouth Engine House and Turntable in 2006, Photo by Stephen Hussar.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=0&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as I know, it is still there, although I have not visited the area.
Probably, a haz-mat cleanup situation preventing the sale of the property
for other uses.

Test driving a bicycle today, found myself beside this one. A little more overgrown, more debris in the pit, the control house in a bit rougher around the edges, but its remarkably the same as it appears in the 2006 image. There's a new brew pub in the building beside it (behind the photographer in this image).