Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1226129  by philipmartin

We had an F40 pushing one of the 2300s eastbound on the Coast Line earlier this week. I looked twice because I haven't seen one here in a long time, maybe years.
I won't miss them. GM went from the very attractive curved lines of the "covered wagons" and "old face" buses to the (in my opinion) unattractive boxy looks of F40s and (the then) new style buses.
 #1226139  by Tadman

blockline4180 wrote: I guess you all like the NJT horns and paint schemes a lot better?????
What horns do the respective carriers use? Just curious. I rather enjoy the tone of a K5LA and P3.
 #1226167  by blockline4180

Tadman wrote:
blockline4180 wrote: I guess you all like the NJT horns and paint schemes a lot better?????
What horns do the respective carriers use? Just curious. I rather enjoy the tone of a K5LA and P3.
Both NJT and MTA west of Hudson engines use the K5LA, but I believe the MTA horns are restricted as are most of the NJT horns on the ALP's, PL42's, and most cab cars...
 #1226168  by philipmartin

"NJTArrow2"]Here's 4124 on 2313 at Middletown."
That's Middletown, all right. It was daylight when I saw it eastbound.
I wish that I could take motion pictures. Those deadheads go through at 50 or 60mph, whatever the speed limit is. We had one eastbound yesterday with two E46s pushing, blowing for the crossing, that put me in another world, (I was on the westbound platform looking.) One time we had a deadhead with the motor in the middle of the train. What a good gag video that would have been. You see mixed multilevel and single level consists occasionally.
 #1226214  by Matt Johnson

philipmartin wrote: I wish that I could take motion pictures. Those deadheads go through at 50 or 60mph, whatever the speed limit is.
80 mph through Middletown.
 #1226236  by airman00

First off... THIS is how a horn should sound! Loud and UN-restricted! Not these generic restricted horns NJT and others use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSou1Kx0veY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And keeping with the topic at hand I hope the remaining F40's hang on for as long as possible. :-)
 #1226333  by philipmartin

That's quite a horn for a little old switch engine. I'm sure he needs it at that busy crossing.
 #1226373  by Tadman

Didn't the FRA put in a rule that has minimum decibel levels, leading to that new sound on most newer engines where the horn is either on/off rather than the gentle ramp up that an engineer could once do if they modulated the horn cord?
 #1226381  by Steve F45

So these choked off horns meet the fra decibel requirement? I mean that P5 you could atleast hear compared to most of the current K5's on njt.
 #1226606  by Tadman

Yeah that's what I don't get. It seems like between the minimum decibal, the restrictions, and the quiet zones, you got a lot of contradictory BS promulgated by our helpful nanny state(s)... Ugh... At this point, why not just have the engineer whistle the theme to "Great Escape" as he/she rolls through crossings???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsuAbTTsV8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry guys, that'll be stuck in your head for the next week!)
 #1226608  by 25Hz

With so many newer cars having very robust NVH sound deadening (when you close the doors you can barely hear anything outside) wondering if these limits are a wise idea....
 #1226612  by ACeInTheHole

25Hz wrote:With so many newer cars having very robust NVH sound deadening (when you close the doors you can barely hear anything outside) wondering if these limits are a wise idea....
Thats not the only problem Andy.. The bigger one is the amount of people who walk around these days with headphones and stuff in their ears. If some idiot is about to walk across the pedestrian crossing in Ho-Ho-Kus for example with Lady Gaga blasting in his ears with a Port Jervis express coming around the corner, youre gonna need an earsplitting horn to get his attention. Some of the Comet Vs in particular have dismal horns that I feel are not loud enough to get the job done in this situation.
 #1227289  by CNJ Fan 4evr

4120 on Hackettstown trains last Monday 10/28/13. Saw it at Denville on M&E going east in morning then west at Lk. Hopatcong mid-day.