Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#517643  by BobLI

Watched a southbound freight going through Central Bridge on the 21st and saw an engine painted in the D&H livery. How many are left painted D&H? Couldnt get an engine number but it looked like an EMD.

#517748  by uhaul

That unit you saw was DH 7312 which is in this consist. www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=228498
Delaware & Hudson 7304 and 7312 are the two GP38-2s in DH paint.
www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=210191
www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=922549
There is an ALCo in Bicentennial paint. This unit was owned by Tioga Central in Tioga County New York, but after the railroad was sold last year I am not sure if it is still there.

Did I miss a few units?

#518281  by scottychaos

uhaul wrote: There is an ALCo in Bicentennial paint. This unit was owned by Tioga Central in Tioga County New York, but after the railroad was sold last year I am not sure if it is still there.
[/color]
almost! but you have two bits messed up..
it was the Tioga Scenic in NY, not the Tioga Central.

And the D&H bicentennial unit hasnt been in Tioga County, NY (Owego) in many years..10 years at least, probably more like 15.

Its actually in Tioga County, PA, on the Tioga Central.

Tioga Scenic was in Tioga County, NY (Owego, NY)
has been defunct for many years.

Tioga Central is in Tioga County, PA, (north of Wellsboro)
and was sold last year.

both operations were related at one time, but again, thats 10-15 years past.

and ironically, the Tioga Central has always been much more scenic than the Tioga Scenic! ;) they should have swapped names..
its not terribly scenic north of Owego..but the Tioga Central has those great reservoir views..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 14&nseq=10

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 92&nseq=13

Scot

#521133  by uhaul

Oh, thanks scottychaos. My apologies for the inaccuracies.

#527437  by oibu

Actually they are one and the same operation, they just moved their ops after losing the freight contract on the old Auburn branch. Always has been the Tioga Central. I think the current operator out of OWego tried running excursions as the Tioga Scenic for a while, but that was after Tioga Central moved to PA.

The only D&H-painted units in paint actually APPLIED by D&H/CP are the 7304, 7312, and 5017... if we're counting D&H-"like" paint applied by other railroads though, don't forget about DL 4103 and 4118.

#527540  by ANDY117

CP has the 7303, 7304, and 7312 in D&H colors. Every other D&H heritage unit is on some form of CP red, or StL&H markings.
 #527677  by amtrakhogger

A little off topic. I always wondered why CP never lettered any of their
red painted diesels "Delaware and Hudson." I know this may be an insult
to D&H purists, but I thought a CP red painted loco might look cool with the CP type "speed" lettering spelling out "Delaware and Hudson."

#535345  by mick

CP red SW-8 No. 6702 was lettered for Delaware & Hudson. I remember seeing it in Railpace a long time ago, and recently saw a slide of it for sale on ebay.

#535374  by scottychaos

mick wrote:CP red SW-8 No. 6702 was lettered for Delaware & Hudson. I remember seeing it in Railpace a long time ago, and recently saw a slide of it for sale on ebay.
ineresting!
I never heard of that one..
found a pic:
http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%2 ... 206702.htm

thanks,
Scot
 #546626  by conrail71

I saw a switcher like that one in Philly about 10 years ago. The Delaware and Hudson title was in the same location on the unit but it was written in script. I don't recall the # but I'll post a pic when I find it!
Mike
 #553344  by conrail71

I think so... I haven't seen the pic in a while. (It's in a cabinet in the garage that's blocked by a load of junk) The unit was CP red and I think it had white safety stripes on the ends.
Mike