Railroad Forums 

• Reliable roster

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#893677  by aquadan005

Anyone know where a reliable roster of CSX engines can be found. I once thought CSX Photo archives was reliable, then I started double checking. According to CSX Photo archives units # 800thru 949 are ES44AH; however, when I searched Railpics.net for CSX all the pictures of locos from 0800 to 949 that I could find were listed as SD80macs.
Please help, my brain hurts !!
 #893684  by photorailfan

Try the bull sheet. It's pretty accurate and up to date. You will see lists of locomotives broken down by type and paint scheme. The only thing i wish is if the site can tell me what locomotives are assigned to what areas in the system?
 #894143  by roadster

The road engines tend to float all over the system. Some weeks I'll see the same set, time after time. Others are gone after one appearance. For example, my power today had a brake inspection slip dated 1/17/11 in Winston, Fla.. Today it's in Albany NY after coming east from Ohio. Quite a trip.
 #894508  by AMK0123

Roadster, you stated that most units travel throughout the system. My queation is how does it work when it comes to equipment for the Hudson division which only uses a handfull of GP38-2's, SD40-2's and now SD60M's. Also I know most 8-40B's stay down south, etc... Sticking with the Hudson units do most of them travel between NYC and Selkirk and on a rare occasion travel down to N.J. or Syracuse and back?
 #896208  by Leo_Ames

The Diesel Shop can be pretty inaccurate at times.

For example, the BNSF roster still shows the Beep as part of the roster despite having been updated just this month. That's a pretty notable unit that many people are familiar with that is discussed regularly. It's not like it was just retired and donated last week. So if they're that out of date on a popular one of a kind unit that many have kept a regular eye on over the years, it's hard to imagine their rosters being particularly accurate and up to date.
 #896402  by roadster

The Units assigned for work on the Hudson Div. are a bit special. They have all had the plows modified (a big notch cut out of the lower corners) for operation in 3rd rail territory. The Units are then tested and approved by Metro-North to operate on their territory. So those units are petty much tied to that area. The rest of the fleet can wonder about the system as needed. The only other type of restriction for operating on any territory is the B&A and RF&P territory's which require a cab signal equiped Locomotive to lead. I have seen a few B40-8's on the Albany Div. over the past year but fairly rare. And I have only seen GP39's operating in Florida, while assigned Miami a few years ago.
 #897852  by atsf sp

The 80Macs use to be in the 800 series
 #898232  by Puter-Geek

Also, there is a fleet of 6200 series GP40's that stay in the New England area because they are equipped with ACSES for running on Amtrak. Of course there is never enough of them with frequent break downs.
 #898549  by roadster

They moved the SD80Mac's to the 4590's- 4600's to make room for the last batch of ES44AH's 700-900's. This is in keeping with CSX's numbering system, keep like make engines within the same numbering blocks. GE's 1-999, 1100-1200 EMD switchers, 1300-1400's GENSets, 2000 to 2999 EMD, 3000 - 3999 GE's, blanked at this time due to retirement of all B23-7's. 4000-4999 EMD, 5000 - 5999 GE, 6000- 6999 EMD, 7000 - 7999 GE, 8000-8999 EMD, 9000 - 9900 GEs, (and here's an exception, the F40's used for executive trains). But you see the general drift. There are blank number blocks caused by retired series of loco's over the past 10 years.
 #898659  by ckwwestshore

Bullsheet is best-hands down. It is VERY up-to-date, and accurate. There are generally weekly updates. I'm not too sure about Diesel Shop, but it isn't updated as often as Bullsheet.
 #898826  by photorailfan

One thing i noticed on the bullsheet is that over the past year or two CSX has been painting much of there geeps, switchers, and slugs. There almost all painted. CSX pretty much slowed down with them and now there doing the road units. Get your shots of the yn2 paint while you can. Also, according to the bullsheet there are about 21 or so stealth scheme locos left and about 25 conrail blue left.
 #899030  by ckwwestshore

I look at this about once a week or so, just proves the point that photorailfan made-they're not holding back on paint!