Railroad Forums 

• regenerative breaking

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#223133  by flynnt

Does a locomotive or trolley that has regenerative brakes have a different set of brake controls than a similar unit without regenerative brekes?

I am generally familiar with the different positions of the air brake control handle on a locomotive. How is this set up different if the loco has regen brakes? More positions on the handle? A separate control?

Also, for trolleys that have multiple braking systems (tranction, disc, regen.) are all these controlled with one control or is there a separate one for each?

#223146  by LCJ

Modern North American locomotives (since about 1970 or so) have a separate handle that controls the regenerative or dynamic brakes. The braking handle is moved in the opposite direction from the throttle when applied in order make it more certain that braking is used and not motive power.

#223162  by octr202

Transit equipment, as opposed to railroad locomotives, now typically has fully blended brakes, and all functions (power and brake) are operated with one handle or controller.

I believe some commuter rail equipment also had blended air/dynamic braking, but its nothing like what subway and light rail cars use.

#223789  by mxdata

Many locomotives in commuter service use blended braking, which applies the dynamic brake in proportioned combination with the air brake. It is an automatic function called out by pressure transducers in the air brake system, and does not require any additional operating controls other than the automatic air brake lever. In EMD locomotives like the F40PH it is regulated by the DA (Dynamic/Air) module in the electrical cabinet. On locomotives equipped with this system, blended braking is the default choice, unless it is manually locked out by the dynamic brake cutout switch.

#223963  by LCJ

If I recall correctly from my experience with Amtrak F40PH/Amfleet trains on the Empire Corridor, blended dynamic could also be avoided by not shutting off the throttle when braking.

I always found the blended DB feature to be a great tool with these trains -- allowing for dramatically shorter braking distances for station stops.