Railroad Forums 

• Regarding modeling a P32ac-dm

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1053476  by M1 9147

Guys,

Eventually, I'm in the interest of persuing a kitbash of an Athearn AMD103 shell into a Metro North P32AC-DM. I have the article from an older edition of Railroad Model Craftsman Magazine that shows how to kitbash, however the air intake grills were never changed, and want it to be the exact prototype. Of coarse if you have an OMI Brass engine, it's all done but for the steep price. Can anyone shed light into how you can actually get the right air intakes which on a P32AC-DM is the larger 3 grille rather than the P40/42 the smaller 4, and who would make it? And if not, if someone actually did the kitbash, how was it done? The other thing is Metro North is using the new scheme, and it seems nobody makes the decals for it yet, so can someone shed me some light? Or will there be an actually resin shell release of this locomotive model? Anybody's help here is appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil Feldman
 #1054049  by M1 9147

I see it, but the question is how did you make the rear intake grilles?
 #1054102  by mlrr

It's hard to explain verbally/in writing but I cut and combined the intake grills of both shells to make them taller. I basically, cleanly cut out the last three intake grills leaving only the first one on the main model and then took two of the intake grills from the scrap shell and put it adjacent to the one grill that I left on the main shell. I then made the grills taller by adding the top half from the scrap shell on top. I hope that makes some sense. I eventually plan on putting together a "how to" page on my website with pictures showing where to make the cuts, etc.