Railroad Forums 

• REDI Advice

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1584803  by FutureLEHopeful

This is my first time using this account in years, and years ago I posted a question about becoming an engineer. I got hired by CSX as a freight conductor recently and was given a REDI start date for November 20th. There were later start dates available but I figured seniority wise, it would be best to take the earliest possible date. Any advice that you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.
 #1584978  by QB 52.32

My advice is to be prepared to make the most of the experience through hard work and to be aware that you will likely be evaluated for the entirety of the time you are there, including hours away from the classroom and training. Hope it's a good first step!
 #1585122  by Knucklehead

FutureLEHopeful wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 am This is my first time using this account in years, and years ago I posted a question about becoming an engineer. I got hired by CSX as a freight conductor recently and was given a REDI start date for November 20th. There were later start dates available but I figured seniority wise, it would be best to take the earliest possible date. Any advice that you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.
It's been 10 years since I was at the REDI for conductor training. You're there to study and learn. If the regimen is the same, you will be tested every day both written and physical tests. CSX is paying for your hotel, so if you have alcohol in the room, if you screw off at the hotel, or get in trouble with the law, you WILL be dismissed and sent home (happened to a few guys while I was there). Pay attention, study at night, and you will do well.
 #1585163  by FutureLEHopeful

QB 52.32 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:05 am My advice is to be prepared to make the most of the experience through hard work and to be aware that you will likely be evaluated for the entirety of the time you are there, including hours away from the classroom and training. Hope it's a good first step!
Thank you! I plan to study, work hard, and utilize my down time wisely.
 #1585164  by FutureLEHopeful

Knucklehead wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:42 am
FutureLEHopeful wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:53 am This is my first time using this account in years, and years ago I posted a question about becoming an engineer. I got hired by CSX as a freight conductor recently and was given a REDI start date for November 20th. There were later start dates available but I figured seniority wise, it would be best to take the earliest possible date. Any advice that you guys have to offer would be much appreciated.
It's been 10 years since I was at the REDI for conductor training. You're there to study and learn. If the regimen is the same, you will be tested every day both written and physical tests. CSX is paying for your hotel, so if you have alcohol in the room, if you screw off at the hotel, or get in trouble with the law, you WILL be dismissed and sent home (happened to a few guys while I was there). Pay attention, study at night, and you will do well.
Thanks! I’m not a drinker so that won’t be a problem. I’m just there to learn the job and do well. I’m a little nervous about the training but I’ll try my best to study during my off time and pay attention in class.
 #1587249  by FutureLEHopeful

QB 52.32 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:21 am Congratulations! How was your REDI experience?
Thanks!

It went very well. It was challenging at times and learning the rules/signals wasn’t entirely easy but the whole class made it through. I had a lot of fun doing the hands-on stuff like mounting and dismounting moving equipment and “kicking” cars.

I will also say that it was very eye-opening. I was always into trains, but I never knew about the amount of rules or considerations that go into running a train. Also learning that the equipment can be VERY unforgiving and the amount of caution that must be used at all times.

I’m nervous for OJT, but I’m excited to see what the next step brings.
 #1587263  by QB 52.32

Yes, there is a lot to learn, understand, and use in the job, providing a blend of both physical and mental requirements. Next up will be the physical characteristics of the area in which you will be assigned as well as learning the different jobs/assignments in the territory. Understandable about the mix of nervousness and excitement. The good thing is that this learning is more practical and allows you to begin to use what you learned in the classroom and hands-on training at REDI. My unsolicited advice is, as they say," keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut" and you will likely find folks out there who will help you as you take it step-by-step. Hope OJT is good, be safe most of all, and, if you have a chance, let us know how it's going. Good luck!
 #1587783  by mmi16

Mistakes in the operating department rarely give one a opportunity to make a 2nd mistake.