Railroad Forums 

• Recon mission

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#317383  by CSX Conductor

Take I-90 east to Boston and take Exit 18 (BRighton Allston), which is a left hand exit. Follow the signs for Brighton and it will put you on Cambridge Street towards Brighton and the Yard is on left behind the highway. Take the ramp towards Cambridge and Storrow Drive and take a right at Double-Tree Hotel and a quick right once you are about to enter Storrow Drive and that will put you towards Engine House. This is the worst area to be in if you can't afford high rents due to all of the colleges. I strongly suggest staying west of Framingham....like near Worcester. :wink:

#317661  by COEN77

Imagine railroads located in the worst areas of a city. :P

#317706  by pharmerphil54

Actually one of the problems with Beacon Park is that the area is a college area and becoming more up scale . Harvard U . is casting longing glances at the land Csx occupies there.

#317811  by CSX Conductor

COEN77 wrote:Imagine railroads located in the worst areas of a city. :P
Believe it or not, none of our yards are in troubled areas, causing us to be considered the factor which depreciates property values, lol.

#317833  by Skullitor

CSX East Worcester Yard is in a good area as well. :wink:

#317866  by dbperry

If you need an address to 'center' an apartment search near Beacon Park, you could use Windom Street in Allston MA 02134. I don't know what the street address of Beacon Park is, but here is a map:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q= ... iwloc=addr
pharmerphil54 wrote:Harvard U . is casting longing glances at the land Csx occupies there.
Believe it or not, Harvard University actually owns Beacon Park.....

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=347535

http://www.bostonmpo.org/bostonmpo/reso ... pt0703.pdf

#318542  by COEN77

CSX Conductor wrote:
COEN77 wrote:Imagine railroads located in the worst areas of a city. :P
Believe it or not, none of our yards are in troubled areas, causing us to be considered the factor which depreciates property values, lol.
I get to visit Boston for the first time in either Jan or Feb. My friend from Washington State has a conference there, so I'll meet her and spend around 5 days checking out the sites. Any hightlights that are a must to see? We'll most likely check out the Museum Of Art, some of the markets ect...Any real good restuarants that locals go to? Any info would be appreciated, I've looked at the websites on Boston and the area,but it seems to touristy.

#319087  by FatNoah

Regarding restaurants, what types of food do you like / how much do you want to spend?

As for the sights to see, there are many. My main advice is to get a decent map and so some walking. Downtown Boston is pretty compact and you can generally walk to where you need to go.

#319147  by COEN77

For resturaunts I'm looking for Irish, Italian, seafood ect...nothing fancy just good food and atmosphere. I'm not sure of where we'll be staying she hasn't got her itinerary for her conference or the dates. I did notice a lot of the hotels downtown or on the waterfront are outragous if you have a car they charge $40 a day parking. So, Why rent a car from what I've read there is a good transit system I've never been on a subway should be interesting.

#319476  by COEN77

Sorry about that Bob, heck it doesn't hurt to get some good pointers of some of the interest in a new city. :-D

#319738  by CSX Conductor

Coen, PM me sometime.....plenty of suggestions.

BTW, the addresses for all buildings at Beacon Park are Cambridge Street addresses. :wink: