Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#352780  by jp1822

Ok - the count down is beginning. How is VIA's flagship Canadian operating these days? Anyone catch the consist? I have a trip scheduled Toronto to Vancouver in mid-February.

I was surprised when I asked the VIA reservation clerk about the consist of the train I'll be on. Seems like there will be six sleepers, as opposed to a typical 3 sleepers (plus Park Car) - in the off season that is. Perhaps they were considering the full consist that includes adding 3 sleepers in Jasper for the continuation of the journey to Vancouver? This is quite typical for the offseason Canadian, particuarly when the Canadian departs Jasper on Monday (arriving Vancouver early Tuesday morning).

Any info on recent operations and current consist, now that we are in teh off season for this train, would be appreciated! Is Western Canada lacking snow? Last year, Eastern Canada had more snow than western Canada - on my February trip. In 2005, we had snow all the way across!

#352806  by Ken V

There's no shortage of snow in the west this year. The Canadian has recently experienced several delays due to weather resulting in the "spare" trainset often being pressed into service to have #2 leave Vancouver on time. Last week, in fact, a second "spare" set was made up from equipment laying over in the yard in order to keep the schedule.

In the east, up until a week ago, some folks were complaining about the spring-like weather, and a few of the ski operations had shut down completely. Now, it's a completely different story.

What it will be like in February is anyone's guess.

I don't have any information on recent consists on the Canadian, but that changes from week to week too.

#353311  by jp1822

The "second spare set" - was this originating out of Vancouver? Does it still have similiar train set - Park Dome Car, Diner, Sleepers, Skyline Dome and coaches? The first three are most important for me! It's nice that VIA has the capability of adding cars to train sets - or having a spare set available.

#353459  by marquisofmississauga

The off-peak consist of the Canadian can indeed vary. I'm reluctant to say the "usual" so I will say the "frequent" consist is baggage, one coach, Skyline, diner, three Manor sleepers and Park car. Another board reported a recent consist having six sleepers out of Toronto due to two tour groups from Britain. There is rarely a Silver & Blue class Skyline car adjacent to the diner during the winter season, but there could be if there are over six sleepers.

I had a one-way trip from Toronto to Vancouver a short while before Christmas. We had the minimum consist of sleepers, but there were three coaches. The Skyline car was not in coffee shop service and, with only two sittings in the dining car (and only six to eight tables being used) I have to wonder what coach passengers did for food. Very few ever came into the diner. A fourth Manor sleeper was added at Jasper for a tour group from Australia.

We arrived early at all major stations up to Jasper. The switching out of one locomotive, the addition of one deadhead and one revenue car took well over two hours and we departed Jasper two hours and 20 minutes late. CN would not let us overtake any freight, so we slowly made our way to Vancouver, arriving almost five hours late. No mention of "late train credits" was made except by the Park car attendant who told people in the lounge that such apply only if more than eight hours late. Actually, the credit applies after four hours and it is 50% of the coach fare. If travelling in sleeper, VIA will calculate what you would have paid if you were in coach and give you 50% of that amount - or 100% if over 12 hours late. The friend I was travelling with has already used his late credit and received about $270.

The last time I passed the Toronto Maintenance Centre on a GO train there wasn't a single piece of Canadian equipment there. For several weeks there was a Park car and two Manor sleepers.
 #359294  by jp1822

So how is the Canadian holding up in this Arctic freeze? I know on Monday, Amtrak didn't operate the Maple Leaf to/from Toronto. Hope they operate it when I plan on taking it later this month for my trip up to Toronto with next day connection to the Canadian!

Any eye witnesses on the consist of the train (westbound leaving Toronto?). Last time I took this train, around same time of year, we only had three sleepers leaving Toronto, but then picked up (added on) three sleepers at Jasper. Is this something to expect on a trip via the Canadian later this month?

Any slight warming trend in the near future for the Canadian's route? Snow?