Railroad Forums 

• Reading Terminal 1984-2007

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#360170  by jfrey40535

I'm trying to figure out how everything was laid out in the terminal before the convention center went in there and Market East was built. I was only 10 when the terminal closed, so I'm only familiar with it during SEPTA's "tenure" of the station.

Most of the waiting room was oblitterated once the headhouse became a hotel, as the new escalators let you off right where the gates used to be. From what I remember, in 1984 when you walked in off the street, the escalators were 20 feet or so from the door. What was the space behind the escalators in those days used for?

Today you can exit Market East right into the basement of the headhouse. Anyone know anything about this space before the tunnel was built?

There are several entrances from Filbert Street which can either take you to the headhouse, the bar or the train station. Were these doors open to the public back in 1983?

On the front of the building, there are still markers that point to a subway station (11th Street). From what I remember, when you entered the terminal in 1983, the subway entrance was off to the left but closed. Does anyone know how today's concourse was reconfigured from the Reading days to today?

From 1976-1984, what was the headhouse used for? Or was it vacant? Did the Reading run most of its operations from there? I do remember the men's room being in the front and had a balcony which today is someone's hotel room or banquet room.

Finally, has anyone stayed in the new hotel since it was converted? I'm hoping to treat myself one of these days just to see what its like.
 #361034  by JimBoylan

jfrey40535 wrote:On the front of the building, there are still markers that point to a subway station (11th Street). From what I remember, when you entered the terminal in 1983, the subway entrance was off to the left but closed.
The painted signs are older than the Subway entrance that you (and I) remember. The entrances were extensively rebuilt after WWII, and the ticket office moved up to the train floor. The older stairs to the trains must have been a longer distance from Market St.

#379235  by nittany4

when was the vine street expressway built?

was there ever a reading viaduct bridge over the current expressway? if so, what did it look like? or did the closure of the viaduct and reading terminal coincide with the digging of 676?

thanks

#388805  by rrbluesman

Is the headhouse still used as a hotel today? I read somewhere, or at least thought I might have, that the headhouse was offices now.