Railroad Forums 

• Reading (PA) Transportation Museum

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#534999  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

If anybody cares,talks are underway for property in Reading,Pa. which includes some very interesting sites,for the new, Reading transportation museum.
 #639556  by Otto Vondrak

What is Channel 69? Where is Franklin Street? I'm not from the area, so I don't know what you're talking about. Can you please post the link? Google search turns up nothing but this thread. Thanks!!

-otto-
 #639580  by jrevans

Otto Vondrak wrote:What is Channel 69? Where is Franklin Street? I'm not from the area, so I don't know what you're talking about. Can you please post the link? Google search turns up nothing but this thread. Thanks!!

-otto-
Otto,
He's talking about the Franklin Street Station in Reading, PA. Here's a picture of the station:

There have been funds earmarked for it's preservation / restoration:
http://www.earmarks.omb.gov/2008-earmar ... 47785.html

BARTA is involved:
http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=109792

But I'm not sure what the "Reading Transportation Museum"'s involvement is with it, if any.
 #639633  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Reading Transportation Museum's involvement dates back to application to the Federal Govt. for funding. BARTA needed a partner to rehab the station in order to qualify. At this time, RTM may or may not be chosen to work on this project.
 #665569  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

The Reading Transportation Museum has been informed the Franklin Street project is moving ahead. We should be hearing a major announcement in about a month or so. RTM plans on operating a small museum in the station. Robert Gottschall
 #665619  by gp80mac

I hope the project includes money for razor wire and armed guards. That is not exactly in the best neighborhood, and there's no way I'd ever go to that ghetto. LAst train I took through there ended up with a busted windshield from the fine locals hurling rocks.
 #665677  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

We have that in mind,the great OLD shops. We also have a plan B which takes in the NEW shop areas. Really cannot tell too much more. Thanks for that link, Andy
 #666040  by Otto Vondrak

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:We have that in mind,the great OLD shops. We also have a plan B which takes in the NEW shop areas. Really cannot tell too much more. Thanks for that link, Andy
So when will you be able to tell us more, because I'm not a Reading guy and I have no clue what is being discussed.
 #666066  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

We are expecting to find out more in about 1 month,according to reports. The Feds are supposed to help the project,some money has already been secured. I wish I had more info to report. To see the area and the station,scroll up and click on the link to live search maps that AndyB posted.The big red brick building was an old locomotive shop of the Phila.& Reading railroad. The grey building north of that is the Franklin st. station and sheds. This is our project,to have a small museum in it. The big red building has been offered in the past. Now,If you go directly north on live search maps,10-15 city blocks,(follow tracks),you will get to the new(1901-08) RDG Co. shop complex,which is north of Spring street ,to the west bounded by 6th street. This also being looked at for a museum site.The propery is split down the middle owner wise, with the east side belonging to Norfolk southern who will not sell. Believe me, I have tried to talk them into it. Hope this helps.