Railroad Forums 

• Reading (PA) Transportation Museum

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#785276  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

We have not been informed of anything recently. I have been in contact with a firm in Phila.concerning studies going forward (some very detailed and in depth on pass .service.) Money has been allocated (2.1m)for the start of the restoration of Franklin St station. Wash DC holds the key in the next step,AKA shovel readyness..............
 #786224  by Otto Vondrak

Warning: If you visit www.readingtransportationmuseum.org MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SPEAKERS OFF! A loud and embarassing train horn plays when you enter the site.

Please, please, please, PLEASE consider removing that sound from your site.

-otto-
 #787818  by Otto Vondrak

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:we pulled the horn sound,sorry for the noise.
Thank you! Now I wont get mean looks from my boss when I'm looking at train sites at work!! :-D

-otto-
 #789256  by Mr. Ed

There are quite a few railroad sites that have loud, annoying horns when you enter their sites. These folks have to realize that there are those out there that do browse the web and don't need a loud horn announcing the fact that the employee is not doing real work.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #821136  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

the Franklin St. station T&E crew room was entered today and photographed/measured and contents documented. The room is cool and dry ,it was left mostly untouched from 1981! The project is moving forward,If there any questions i am happy to answere here.
 #847450  by rwk

Is there still plans for commuter rail in Reading? I heard one line to Carlisle, PA using Norfolk Southern's Harrisburg line and the other to Norristown using NS's Philly line. Would NS allow commuter trains on it's busy freight lines? Might as well have a line to Allentown, Bethlehem, PA as well. Reading and Bethlehem haven't had any train service since end of June 1981 for Bethlehem and fall 1981 for Reading. I wish NS would also be more railfan trip friendly, back in the 80's (Sept 1985, fall 1987, and 1988) BM&R ran a number of trips with #2102, #425, and diesels over Conrail lines to Philly, Harrisburg, Jim Thorpe via Allentown, and more. Why could that happen back then but it couldn't today? NS is restarting their own steam program in limited form so do you think that they will let other groups run excursions, steam or diesel? Even a diesel excursion with SEPTA or Amtrak coaches from Reading to Philly or Harrisburg? Or, Bennett Levin's PRR E8 train?
 #887195  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Stay tuned to the local papers and TV,project is supposed to start in the spring/summer 2011. It will be a professional restoration.
 #887220  by Schuylkill Valley

That's all find and dainty, if you get the Reading Eagle or watch Channel 69 news on a daily basis. But for the people out here most are not even from the state of Penna.
You have to keep them up dated more often on here.

Len.
 #887257  by rwk

So when will we be able to catch a train in eastern PA that's not an Amtrak train, not an electric SEPTA train, and not on Amtrak tracks? Other than tourist trains. Will there be any train service again that's not on SEPTA's electrified lines, and not on Amtrak's lines either. What diesel passenger service is there in eastern PA other than tourist trains? NJT Atlantic City train in Phila? Does Amtrak still operate any diesel powered trains through 30th St. or to Harrisburg? The only passenger service on non-electrified or freight tracks in PA right now is Amtrak on NS from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh and CSX through Connellsville, and through Erie, PA.
 #887317  by Schuylkill Valley

RWK, you answered your own question again. :)

There was talk of the Schuylkill Metro service from Philadelphia to Reading a few years back , but I haven't heard of any updated news in quite some time.

Len.
 #887369  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

If we hear anything new it will be posted ASAP. The station project is under BARTA and they tell us whats going on. The trains are still planned however,it is going to be a bus terminal with provisions for trains if and when that time comes. Our transportation museum will be small, with research and rolling displays. The nice thing is to finally have something in Reading,Pa. RTM