Railroad Forums 

• Reading Company Cat pole 8/9 location

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1324210  by rdgrailfan

Going over some old Photo's - have several steam and early diesel pictures taken at a location 8/9, index to pictures is lost, nothing in negative envelope except date of 10-1949.
I can't attach picture here but the cat pole # in one of the pictures shows 8/9, the location has three tracks all electrified with a station back in the distance. My memory says Oak Lane station showing the old center track.
Any help, trying to sort out a bunch of Reading steam, only location I cannot verify.
Thanks in advance
 #1326101  by glennk419

Cat pole designations measured mileage from Reading Terminal. The 8/9 designation would be 8 miles, 9th cat tower. The location that you reference would be in the area of the current Melrose Park, nee Oak Lane, Station where there were three tracks under wire. The original ROW is still three tracks wide and the center track area was reutilized about 15-20 years ago when the Valley Road bridge was replaced.

Cat poles were similarly numbered on the branches from the interlocking where they diverged from the main. Pole 2/1 on the Warminster (New Hope) Branch would be 2 miles, pole 1 from Carmel. For the sake of cat pole numbering, the electrified branches were Bethlehem (beyond Jenkintown), Chestnut Hill, Fox Chase (wired in 1967), New Hope and Norristown with the current West Trenton Line being considered the main.