Railroad Forums 

• RE: Locked threads

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#288848  by David Benton

yeah , i googled it . Originally a brand of shoe polish . Hardly the queens english old boy .
but now ive got a word to use that noone here will know what i'm talking about . ( some would say thats normal ) .
and yes its easy to get workerd up over small things . as adults , we have pride , and don't like to be reminded that our grammar and spelling can be worst than what would be expected of an adult .

my main complaint is the time it takes to wirte pms etc over what i see as minor points . i like to fire off posts at work , usually in a few minutes i have spare between tasks , and i'm not about to run it through a spell checker as suggested . so i just don't bother posting in there no more .

#288851  by F3A

David Benton wrote:yeah , i googled it . Originally a brand of shoe polish . Hardly the queens english old boy .
but now ive got a word to use that noone here will know what i'm talking about . ( some would say thats normal ) .
and yes its easy to get workerd up over small things . as adults , we have pride , and don't like to be reminded that our grammar and spelling can be worst than what would be expected of an adult .

my main complaint is the time it takes to wirte pms etc over what i see as minor points . i like to fire off posts at work , usually in a few minutes i have spare between tasks , and i'm not about to run it through a spell checker as suggested . so i just don't bother posting in there no more .
That is the biggest shame of all....Its become so intransigent...so unbendingly rigid, that it discourages people form participating. All one has to do is take at look at the forum and you can see for youself how participation has dropped off so dramatically.

Yet the powers that be refuse to see...
Last edited by F3A on Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#288853  by pablo

It's a shame. As much as you should be flogged for your orthographic insolence, a moderator that's stopped posting to a forum that is at the very least tangential to their own forum shows something is wrong.

And I have no manner by which to flog you anyway. My tools are in my classroom for the start of school Wednesday. Middle school for the first time in 8 years, and freshmen for the first time ever. Let the beatings begin...

Dave Becker

#288856  by David Benton

it ok with me . it is my choice not to post at the moment . perhaps i will if i come across a thread that interests me enough .
by the way , our status as moderators only applies to the forums we moderate . i don't expect to be treated any differently form other contributors in other forums . well apart from the occassional "you should know better "

#288866  by F3A

Another "oldie but goodie" from "Mr." Wigwagfan:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28036

In accordance with Col. Perkowski's announcement made this morning in light of the events that took place in the U.K., let me state the following two points:

1. Department of Homeland Security has raised the threat level for airlines, particularly for those flights originating in the U.K. bound for the U.S. No advisories exist for any other activity, including rail transport of any type, in the United States.

2. While many transit agencies are stepping up security, Amtrak has announced (through numerous media sources) that it is not increasing or taking any unusual/heightened security steps outside of its current security processes.

That said, if the situation changes one can PM/e-mail myself or Col. Perkowski and we will allow further discussion on this topic; otherwise let it be known as a fact that no changes are being made at Amtrak, therefore this topic is resolved, closed and locked.

#288895  by crazy_nip

Otto Vondrak wrote:I want to say that Mr. Perkowski and Mr. Halstead have the complete support of the RAILROAD.NET staff in their efforts to maintain the Amtrak Forum
wow... the dreaded "vote of confidence"

Guess we are waiting for the other shoe to drop

#288989  by pennsy

Yo Alan,

You obviously go back far enough to remember that Shinola was also used to describe a Black Eye. "Wow, look at that Shinola someone gave him !!"

#289029  by Irish Chieftain

Here's a forum suggestion that I just thought of.

Split the current Amtrak forum into two halves, one "Pro-Amtrak" and the other "Anti-Amtrak", and let's see which one gets the most traffic…

#289038  by F3A

Irish Chieftain wrote:Here's a forum suggestion that I just thought of.

Split the current Amtrak forum into two halves, one "Pro-Amtrak" and the other "Anti-Amtrak", and let's see which one gets the most traffic…
I guess we know what side Wiggie would take. :wink:

#289106  by crazy_nip

Irish Chieftain wrote:Here's a forum suggestion that I just thought of.

I must be moderator of the "anti-amtrak" forum

I can guarantee you that I will not censor or correct people's punctuation

#289123  by David Benton

Well, Crazy Nip , as we used to say in the workshop , make the baddest worker the foreman , cos they know all the tricks .

but seriously , I don't think theres any need for pro and anti amtrak Forums . nor do i see any need for the moderators to step aside or take a break . i would like to see the amtrak forum become more tolerant of others views , slighlty offtopic posts , spelling and puncuation , and allow more disagreement to let the threads develop more .
but as Mr Perkowski points out , there is rail forum , which i have checked out , it seems to have reasonable discussion without strict moderation . so maybe that is a better option for the "great unwashed " , who are not able to toe a strict line . i include myself in that group .
the other option would be to have a open forum on here . not viewable to any one but members , who have to sign in that theyre over 18 , and agree that they may come across material they may find objectionable .
all offtopic material could be sent there by moderators . Would still need a moderator , to get rid of spam , flaming and offensive material . But it would allow the kind of discussion that used to happen on the old railroad.net . People can't complain , they have signed in . and if they don't like it , don't go there .
Another feature on a discussion group i frequent , is the members ability to vote a thread off. so if spam or something offensive appears while the moderator is awol , members can vote to remove it , when say 10 have , its gone . abuse of this function would see membershipp terminated .

#289127  by pablo

No splitting of the forum. Just fix it, which is easy to do.

I wouldn't censor, but I'll be honest...I'll help with grammar.

OK, I'm kidding about that last point. I don't carry a red pen any place with me, I swear. I don't even use one when I teach.

Dave Becker

#289177  by F3A

Perhaps we need a committee of posters to oversee the two moderators. Kind of like checks and balances if you will, in that they have the power to overule any arbitrary deletions or lockings of threads.

Personally, I think thats a good idea...and I would like to volunteer for that.

Any other volunteers for this task????
Last edited by F3A on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#289185  by charlie6017

F3A wrote:Perhaps we need a committee of posters to oversee the two moderators. Kind of like checks and balances if you will, in that they have the power to overule any arbitrary deletions or lockings of threads.

Personally, I think thats a good idea...and I would like to volunteer fo that.

Any other volunteers for this task????
Personally, I think that's really a good idea. I don't really have the time for that task and I already am a mod, but I wanted to give you guys a thumbs up........you guys have some good ideas.

Charlie

#289400  by pablo

I volunteer for it, or to be the mod straight up.

Dave Becker