Railroad Forums 

• RDG old Norristown Branch

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#809573  by John Johnstone

From looking at old maps, I found some of the P, G & N station names and locations to be very different from the current and spaced about 3/4 mile apart in places. There was no East Falls, but a Schoolhouse Lane Station where the curent crossing is. Manyunk was located at Green Lane. Near where Ivy Ridge is, there was one named Springfield, with an icehouse. Next was Green Tree, now Shawmont and then Princeton, just southeast of the current Miquon. I do have an 1858 Water Co. drawing of Green Tree and Princeton, both appearing as the "country cottage" style with Princeton haveing a porch-like platform. The oldest map I found depicting Green Tree, is from 1843. Next was Lafayette, just Northwest of the current Miquon, then Spring Mill, Conshohocken, Mogee and then Potts. The old bridge over the Schuylkill to Reading's Main Line crossed before Norristown, so I imagine only local trains went to Norristown. If anyone has photos or drawings of those early Norristown Branch Stations, I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks