Railroad Forums 

• RDG - Dauphin & Susquehanna

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#1081118  by Cactus Jack

Where would be the interface between this line and I-81 ? (I suspect near Pine Grove someplace)

Travelling on I-81 is there anything to see ?

What did the Reading call this line when it was intact ?

Thanks for any info
 #1087178  by choess

There's nothing really to see from I-81, which post-dates the abandonment of the railroad. Fills etc. can be seen from local roads in the area; it crosses I-81 just north of Oak Grove, to the east of what was once Beuchler station. I recommend stonyvalley.com and Earl Heydinger's article in R&LHS Bulletin, v. 105 as sources. abandonedrails.com has nice maps, but I have found their descriptions are not very reliable.

The railroad was chartered as the Dauphin & Susquehanna RR, becoming the Schuylkill & Susquehanna RR after foreclosure and the Reading takeover. I believe they simply referred to it as the Schuylkill & Susquehanna Branch.
 #1099870  by GP30 5513

There is some to be seen from I81 but if you don't know where your looking, and just to be safe, pull over to gander.

Not much can be viewed now. However once the leaves are gone completely in a month, you can see the ROW and the sloping that was done with the excavation of I81. The ROW is, more or less, slightly (and I mean very slightly) used by I81. Just after the Pine Grove exit (Exit 100) heading North, there's a bridge that takes 81 over Oak Grove Road. Immediately after the bridge, there's one of those 'Emergency/Authorized Vehicles Only' turn arounds. This turn around sits on the former S&S ROW. Have a look at the map link: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.55224 ... 1&t=h&z=18 You can somewhat see the ROW on both sides of the Interstate, eastward to Pine Grove, westward to Gold Mine. Hopefully this helps everyone out a bit.