Railroad Forums 

• RDG Co. Bethlehem Branch

• Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
Discussion Related to the Reading Company 1833-1976 and it's predecessors Philadelphia and Reading Rail Road and then the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Moderator: Franklin Gowen

#91771  by glennk419

I was in South Bethlehem today and observed the above noted destruction. Along with the rails south of 3rd Street, all of the poles and signal cables have also been removed, although the HEM signal is still standing. From what I could tell, it also looks like a lot of the trash that had turned this area into a virtual dump ahs also been removed, the only small positive aspect of what's going on there. The rails are still in place from the 3rd Street crossing up to Union Station, with no obvious activity going on to remove that portion. All of the crossing protection is also still intact, minus a few gates and notably, virtually all of the pedestrian crossing signals are gone or have been dismembered. It would appear that the first segment of the greenway, if that's what's still going to happen, will be along the southern portion of the line. Of course, where will it end....in the PBNE yard where trespassing has always been strictly enforced!!??
 #98819  by jrevans

I got a copy of this in the mail from the STB, since I am on file after writing them a letter about this docket number.

It appears that the City of Bethlehem doesn't have the cash to buy the ROW now....... At least that's what I'm guessing from the sounds of this.

Here's the link to the STB document:

STB document

Here's the text:
Decision Information

Docket Number: AB_859_1_X

Case Title: PENNSYLVANIA LINES LLC--ABANDONMENT EXEMPTION--IN
NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, PA

Decision Type: Decision

Deciding Body: Director Of Proceedings

Decision Summary

Decision Notes:
EXTENDED THE TIME FOR NSR TO CONSUMMATE THE
ABANDONMENT AUTHORITY AND TO FILE A NOTICE OF CONSUMMATION
IN THIS PROCEEDING TO ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 10, 2006.

Full Text of Decision

35579 SERVICE DATE - FEBRUARY 9, 2005

SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD DECISION

STB Docket No. AB-859 (Sub-No. 1X)

PENNSYLVANIA LINES LLC-ABANDONMENT

EXEMPTION-IN NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, PA

Decided: February 8, 2005

Pennsylvania Lines LLC (PPR) and Norfolk Southern Railway
Company (NSR) (collectively, petitioners) filed a notice of exemption
under 49 CFR 1152 Subpart F-Exempt Abandonments and
Discontinuances of Service for PRR to abandon and NSR to discontinue
service over, a 3.7- mile line of railroad between milepost EK-53.0 at
Hellertown and milepost EK-56.7 at Bethlehem, in Northampton County,
PA. Notice of the exemption was served and published in the Federal
Register on February 10, 2004 (68 FR 6373). Footnote In the February 10
notice, the Board stated that, if consummation has not been effected by
PRR's filing of a notice of consummation by February 10, 2005, and there
are no legal or regulatory barriers to consummation, the authority to
abandon would automatically expire. Footnote

By facsimile received on February 1, 2005, NSR, on its own behalf
and that of PRR, filed a request to extend for one year (until February 10,
2006), the time to consummate the abandonment. NSR stated that the
lengthy extension is necessary because long-term plans for the line and
provisions for funding to carry out those plans have not been finalized.
NSR further states that the extension will give greater flexibility for it, the
City of Bethlehem and any other party interested in making the most
productive future use of the right-of-way without requiring several shorter
extensions of time. NSR states that, if the circumstances change,
especially if it determines that consummation of the abandonment should
take place at an earlier date, it will advise the Board. Under 49 CFR
1152.29(e)(2), a railroad may, for good cause shown, file a request for an
extension of time to file a notice of consummation in abandonment
proceedings. Good cause has been shown. Accordingly, the deadline for
filing the notice of consummation will be extended to February 10, 2006.

This action will not significantly affect either the quality of the
human environment or the conservation of energy resources.

It is ordered:

1. NSR's request for a 1-year extension of time to exercise the
abandonment authority is granted.

2. The authority to abandon must be exercised, and the notice of
consummation must be filed, on or before February 10, 2006.

3. This decision is effective on its service date.

By the Board, David M. Konschnik, Director, Office of Proceedings.

Vernon A. Williams
Secretary
Here's a link to the NS request of extension:

STB PDF document

#99542  by TuckertonRR

I still think it would be interesting if someone or a company or a RR museum could match what the City (or at least offer to pay money _now_ for the property) as a way to preserve the ROW. Or a few RR places could "pool" the money, offer it, and the title could be put into a seperate entity, with the percentage ownership decided how much cash everyone put up......
I wonder if the above would be any sort of viable option??

PS - I got the same letter from the STB.
 #108037  by jrevans

This time, removing the endangered species condition as NS requested.

STB document
Decision Information

Docket Number:
AB_859_1_X

Case Title:
PENNSYLVANIA LINES LLC--ABANDONMENT EXEMPTION--IN NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, PA

Decision Type:
Decision

Deciding Body:
Director Of Proceedings

Decision Summary

Decision Notes:
(1) REOPENED THIS PROCEEDING; AND (2) REMOVED THE ENDANGERED SPECIES CONDITION IMPOSED IN THE MARCH 10, 2004 DECISION.

Full Text of Decision

35639 SERVICE DATE - MARCH 15, 2005

DO

SURFACE TRANSPORTATION BOARD

DECISION

STB Docket No. AB-859 (Sub-No. 1X)

PENNSYLVANIA LINES LLC–ABANDONMENT EXEMPTION–

IN NORTHAMPTON COUNTY, PA

Decided: March 14, 2005

Pennsylvania Lines LLC (PRR) and Norfolk Southern Railway Company (NSR) filed a notice of exemption under 49 CFR 1152 Subpart F–Exempt Abandonments and Discontinuances of Service for PRR to abandon and NSR to discontinue service over a 3.7-mile line of railroad between milepost EK-53.0 at Hellertown and milepost EK-56.7 at Bethlehem, in Northampton County, PA. Notice of the exemption was served and published in the Federal Register on February 10, 2004 (68 FR 6373). Footnote

By decision served March 10, 2004, the proceeding was reopened at the request of the Board’s Section of Environmental Analysis (SEA) and the exemption was made subject to the condition that PRR consult with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) (Pennsylvania Field Office) (State College, PA) prior to conducting any abandonment or salvaging activities to assess potential impacts to the bog turtle or other Federally threatened or endangered species, identify any appropriate mitigation measures that may be warranted, and report the results of the USFWS consultations to SEA. On February 23, 2005, NS submitted a letter from the USFWS, indicating that no Federally listed endangered or threatened species are known to occur within the project area, and that no mitigation measures were recommended. SEA also states that the Pennsylvania Department of Natural Resources has concluded that the project, as proposed, should not have any negative impacts to plant species of special concern, as long as the railroad does not revegetate the area with any invasive species. Therefore, SEA recommends that the endangered species condition imposed in the March 10, 2004 decision be removed. Accordingly, the proceeding will be reopened and the previously imposed endangered species consultation condition will be removed. Footnote

This decision will not significantly affect either the quality of the human environment or the conservation of energy resources.

It is ordered:

1. This proceeding is reopened.

2. Upon reconsideration, the endangered species condition imposed in the March 10, 2004 decision is removed.

3. This decision is effective on its service date.

By the Board, David M. Konschnik, Director, Office of Proceedings.

Vernon A. Williams

Secretary

#108657  by Trails to Rails

I also noticed while traveling on the High Street Bridge over the tracks in Hellertown that the rails have been pulled as far as the eye can see both northbound toward Saucon Yard and southbound toward the old station location.

Very sad indeed :(

#125778  by glennk419

Sadly, I have to report that all of the rails are now gone along the ex-RDG ROW through south Bethlehem from Union Station to the PBNE yard, with the exception of the actual grade crossings. The City of Bethlehem now has its' Grayway, as all that's left for the most part is the ballast. Remarkably, the C&S crews are lagging behind as ALL of the crossing protection is still in place, as well as the HEM signal. Decorum on this board forbids me from sharing my true feelings although I'd love to rig up a few car batteries just to activate the crossings for old time's sake.

The rails south of Hellertown also remain in place but Mother Nature is once again having her way with them. :(

One positive related note: the ex-LV HQ building is going through a major facelift as scaffolding is surrounding the building and work is being done to further preserve it.

#125796  by Pacobell73

Well, if anyone happens to be in the area with a digital camera, please feel free to snap a few photos of the recent carnage. :(
Last edited by Pacobell73 on Sun May 15, 2005 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#126612  by SteelWheels21

Jim,
What's new on your end of the line? Is traffic picking up at all?

#130011  by trackhiker

I'm not Jim but I have been watching the line for several years. The traffic seemed to pick up with the increased business from the roofing plant in Quakertown about a year ago and when I passed last week the Shelly plant is nearing completion and should add considerable business to the line.

#130026  by Pacobell73

Do you think the grade crossing on California Road will be restored?

#130330  by trackhiker

I don't believe that there is currently a demand for service above California Road. The Shelly plant is just above the Fibermark plant and the last active crossing on the line.
If someone were to build a plant requiring rail service above California Road, I don't believe that it would be too hard to get a state grant to reopen the crossing. But that is a ways above the current end of the line and I believe that the Pumping Station Rd. Crossing would need to be reopened as well. Also, it would depend on the cost to rehabilitate the required lenght of rail line.

#130376  by glennk419

trackhiker wrote:But that is a ways above the current end of the line and I believe that the Pumping Station Rd. Crossing would need to be reopened as well. Also, it would depend on the cost to rehabilitate the required lenght of rail line.
Pumping Station Road has an overpass which is within the "in service" area. Cars were parked across it when they were being stored at the current northern end of the line.

#131760  by trackhiker

Thanks for the correction. I realized later that I was confusing West Pumping Station Rd. which the line doesn't cross with East Pumping Station Rd. which it does. I did not know that they had cars stored up that far either. Is California Rd. crossing the official end of the in service section?