Railroad Forums 

• RBMN 9999

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#48619  by Reading Company Crusader

While high balling through Allentown hump last night I spotted a green covered hopper with the reporting marks of RBMN 9999. This car was with other covered hoppers possibly grain cars waiting to be humped.

Is this a revenue car for the RBMN? and is it grain or something else?
Is there more in service?

The car looked to have yellow lettering but was hard to see through the fog and the toothpicks that were holding up my eyelids.

What the ham is up with this car?

CEW

#48698  by RDG Mallet

Crusader,

The 9999 is in coal service believe it or not. They load it with powdered coal at Summit Anthracite in Good Spring. It is the only covered hopper in service owned by the RBMN.

Mike

READING LINES "BEE LINE SERVICE"

#48703  by RBMN-ENGR.

Our fleet of one. There were supposed to be 13 (?) more, but we were scooped on the rest by another outfit. It's in dedicated service between Summit Anthracite on the Tremont Industrial and someplace in South Carolina. The cars used mostly are the ex-Southern "Big John" aluminum body covered hoppers. Summit is trying to load 8 cars a week. We are at the mercy of NS as far as having a supply of empties on hand. Too bad we didn't get all 14 of our own cars.

#48973  by RDG Mallet

To the best of my knowledge it used in furnaces at a power plant. However I am not 100% sure on that.

Mike

READING LINES "BEE LINE SERVICE"