• Raritan River Railroad Field Trip #3

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

Sat Nov 13th, 7:00am, Parlin Station - Washington Rd Crossing.

The third RRRR Field trip is planning to start where we left off last year. This years tour will begin with exploring the eastern side of the South River Draw, proceeding East, crossing Jernee Mill Rd, visiting the Gillespie Spur interchange, and making our way back to the sight of the old Parlin Station.

Midday, we should be able to spec out the old Parlin\Sayreville Yard, and start exploring the long abandoned Sayreville Branch.

Last year we had a great time exploring the ROW in East Brunswick, visiting the EB Branch - Serviss Branch, entered South River, explored the SR side of the Serviss Branch, and concluded our tour with a visit to the South River Branch. We discovered a few things we didn't even know existed, found a few things we had not seen in many years, and in all had a great time exploring the old ROW of the Raritan River Rail Road.

So anyone and everyone who is interested in the Old Ricky should join us on Sat Nov13th. Start time is 7:00AM.

For the latest updated info check
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

Also keep your eyes on www.RaritanRiverRailroad.com for updates and pics from last years trip. (RRRR Field Trip #2)

If anyone wants more info, or feels they can't make the 7:00am window but still wants to come, just e-mail me and I'll give you my cell so we can tell you where we are later in the day.

[email protected]
[email protected]

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

The 3rd Raritan River Railroad field trip is coming up next weekend, Sat Nov13th!

Here is a write up from last years' trip where we found the long lost ROW of the Serviss Branch!

http://home.comcast.net/~tom_e_reynolds ... Trip2.html

IF anyone is interested, contact me for more details.

-Tom

by BigDell

Hi Tom,
EXCELLENT content on your 2003 trip, I just checked out the website. I was fascinated by the hand-cranked South River swing bridge! Where is this? Its still used? By CSX? When is there activity? I don't know much about this operation, I'm very curious...
BigDell

by RRSpike

>>>Where is this?>>>
The old RRRR swing bridge can be accessed from the South River side of the river. Go to the Whitehead Avenue grade crossing near the intersection of Yates Avenue (see: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?co ... ++Search++) and take the dirt road that parallels the tracks toward the river.

>>>Its still used? By CSX?>>>

Yes, it is still used. Technically it's used by Conrail Shared Assets.

>>>When is there activity?>>>
Trains come out of Browns Yard and up into East Brunswick via the swing bridge. I think they go over the bridge a couple times a week, but I'm not sure.
  by pumpers

Is the Co-steel sayreville Steel plant (called Gerdau Ameristeel now?)
on Crossman Rd still a rail customer?

What other customers are there east of Gillespie junction?
How far east of Gillespie do active rails go?
Thanks

by railroadcarmover

It is still a customer. It is switched with former USS Fairless Works sw1200 #26 ( cut cab ). USS Fairless Works sw7 ( or sw1200 ) #11 is also on the property as a backup.

by BigDell

Great info Spikes, many thanks... I had NO idea that was there...
Its amazing how you can actively railfan a state for most of your life and yet keep coming upon that amazing "something new" year after year, so close to home...
BigDell

by Tom_E_Reynolds

BigDell,

I actually have a newspaper article from the News Tribune printed back in 2000? where they actually interviewed the SR crank bridge tender.

I'll post it to my web site tonight, and post it here tomorrow.

-Tom

Also,

Check out the last post by me on the "Old Signage Still In Place" thread.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

I linked to a picture from Joe's www.raritanriverrailroad.com web site that showed the RRRR crossing the freshly painted swing bridge in the 1970's clearly showing the RR logo painted on the side! It's quite a picture!

by BigDell

Wow - I love that shot of the switcher #2 crossing the bridge.... I remember those old red, white and blue "State of Maine" boxcars...
Really great stuff, I have to go see this bridge and shoot photos and video!
Would love to see the article if you can find it....
Thanks again!
BigDell