Railroad Forums 

• Raritan Central expansion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1616515  by Bracdude181

@RandallW Is that so? Perhaps Port Raritan could work somewhat better for that sort of thing considering that the containers could go straight to the adjacent distribution centers there instead of having to deal with the hellish congestion at Maher Terminals and having to be trucked to some other place.

I did manage to find a marine GPS map showing how deep the bay is.

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/rar ... ersey/#map
 #1616841  by AceMacSD

Maher Terminal is one of the most efficient terminals in the Port. PNCT and Express Rail have the worst wait times. BTW, the PNCT operator was the one being considered for this proposed Raritan Central port. They just going to have to accept union work over there if they want the business.
As for those containers/trailers at the industrial park, most of them come from CSX or NS to North Jersey. Barging them up the coast will add time to their travel. Raritans plans to transfer containers to a barge out at sea to further be brought to Raritan port, is a ludicrous concept.
 #1627668  by Sir Ray

AceMacSD wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:37 am
CR7876 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:32 pmScummers
Yep but they're keeping our guys paid. $31/hr under the table's still good $$$.
Umm, could either of you chaps enlighten us as to why RCRY are 'scummers', or is that rather hush-hush/nudge-nudge wink-wink kinda stuff?
 #1627747  by AceMacSD

"Scummers" means they're non-union, no railroad retirement, no benefits. We explain that when we send guys their way. It's no secret. They tell us to explain that to whoever we send. The guys there tried unionizing some time ago. They all got fired for doing so.
 #1627751  by Bracdude181

Eyal Shapira told you to come on here and say they are hiring?? Not someone who works for them, but you specifically?
 #1627755  by Bracdude181

I don’t doubt that they were hiring. I know they’ve had at least one new guy sign on in the last few weeks. I’m just saying, the owner told AceMac to post it here and not someone who works for them?
 #1627773  by pdtrains

Soooo.. I ve been to Raritan Center a million times in the past.....i kinda know the area...but questions.....

I followed the RCRY "main" out along riverside drive on google maps, and then it curves all over the place, and then ends at the "Middlesex Trail" wich i guess is the old LV ROW to Woodbridge, where the RCRY could connect to CSAO, if they could rebuild track on the old LV ROW. Is this correct?

Ive never known any rail trail to be converted back to RR ROW, so I guess the chances of this happening are slim??
 #1627774  by Bracdude181

They could connect it, and doing so would be beneficial to both RC and Conrail. They could move the exchange to Perth Amboy and take OI32 off the Northeast Corridor, meaning RC customers no longer have to pay Amtrak fees. Nearly all of the track is still there, and the easternmost part was in use up until like 15 ish years ago for one customer that got gondolas.

There’s a few problems though.

1. Perth Amboy yard needs to be rebuilt if they would exchange there. The tracks are in terrible shape and there’s not enough room to hold the 40+ car trains RC sometimes gets from Conrail. Maybe they could get trackage rights to Port Reading or something?

2. I don’t know if the route is good for Plate F and 286k cars. It’s crucial that RC maintains the ability to get such cars as several customers use Plate F and everyone loads to 286 I think.

3. Getting it reopened might cost quite a bit as all those bridges between Perth Amboy and Keasby need to be inspected at the bare minimum, and possibly repaired if any of them need work.
 #1628268  by Bracdude181

CR7876, Tony says hello back, but he doesn’t remember you.

Acemac, Tony says no one over there told you to post what you did, and is displeased about false information regarding RC employee benefits, sparking engines, and claiming that the boss of RC told you to post that they were hiring when you should’ve just posted the indeed link.