Railroad Forums 

• Raquette Lake

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#499384  by Albanymain

Hi folks!

I'm working on a side project and I am trying to find a track plan for the trackage around the station at Raquette Lake. There seems to have been a "return loop" at the very least. Any help is appreciated.

John
"Albanymain"

#499715  by RussNelson

Whenever a question includes two words: "railroad" and "adirondack", the answer always contains "Kudish".
Last edited by RussNelson on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

#499757  by scottychaos

RussNelson wrote:Whenever a question includes two words: "railroad" and "adirondack", the answer always contains "Kudish".
does the answer also contain an explanation of what "Kudish" means? :wink:
(the link doesnt work)

scot

#499803  by RussNelson

Sp;eling counts; fixed, thanks.

#499986  by ffmike9

What it means is that Dr. Michael Kudish has published numerous books on the subject of Adirondack railroads. His latest book "Railroads of the Central Adirondacks" contains a chapter on the Raquette Lake Railway, complete with track diagrams.
 #500304  by frankcarey

The Raquette Lake waterfront was a busy rail terminus. There was indeed a loop for reversing trains for return to Carter Station. There were numerous sidings - one went past the station and curved behind it to the waterfront bulkhead where cars of coal were spotted for the steamboats. Another siding went out onto the point where the oil tanks once were. Another went up a grade where the chapel now is and had a long train shed where Colis Huntington kept his two private cars when he was in camp. There were several other sidings. I have a scale drawing of the area that I got from Mike Kudish years ago. When I get back home (~ 2 weeks) I can scan it and email it to you. Send or post your email address.
Frank Carey
[email protected]
 #500369  by Albanymain

Thanks so much to everyone for your help.

My email address is [email protected]

Hopefully soon I will be posting a first draft of my trackplan.
 #1116596  by dpb29

The Raquette Lake Railway terminated with a loop through the village of Raquette Lake and siding for the private car of Collis P. Huntington. This clearly shown on the 1902 typographical map, a copy of which can be found at http://historical.mytopo.com/getImage.a ... g&state=NY. The land for the siding was sold for $1 to the Raquette Lake Chapel that still exists on that site. My father was pastor at Inlet and saw the construction of the Chapel.