Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1590148  by roysmith

How much fuel do the NMRR diesel trains carry? Do they need to fill up on every trip, or just once a day, or less often than that? I'm assuming there's no fuel available in GCT, so the trains into New York need to come in with enough fuel to make it back to their starting point.
 #1590165  by west point

Fueling? Depends on which route the train goes on. Each route different miles. As well the locos may be rotate on different routes. Then how many cars the loco is pulling or pushing.

When Amtrak once published figures their loco consumption was about 2 - 2.1 gallons per mile. But that figure would be much different for commuter operations. HEP, more starting and stopping, weight of cars, grades, etc.

It may be the locos are rotated thru to just a few fueling points???
 #1590169  by eolesen

Consumption is usually measured per hour by power setting. At idle, a F40PH burns 65 gph; in N8 its closer to 175 gph, and capacity is between 1500 and 1800 gals. Not sure what the various MNRR roster burns.

I'd assume MNRR takes the power to Highbridge either overnight or between the morning and afternoon rushes for refueling. Trying to do it in outlying stations has its own challenges.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1590185  by robelybasis

Generally trains fill up once per day, with fueling pads in Croton ,New Haven, Stamford, Southeast/Brewster, and Highbridge. Usually a spare/backup set for each line is swapped out at night or at noon for the normal set, then the normal set gets fueled and serviced and becomes the backup/spare set and then keep alternating.