Railroad Forums 

• Ramifications of "Brexit" for railways

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1620285  by johnthefireman

I agree 100% there's no need for entry and exit stamps. But unfortunately, many countries in the world, including the EU, still insist on them, so the delays will continue. When UK was in the EU, there were no stamps for UK or any other EU citizens, so things went faster and more smoothly.
 #1620286  by Gilbert B Norman

As far as I know, John, with Kenya remaining in the Commonwealth, you can enter and exit "The Mother Country" with the passport Her Majesty issued you.

My Niece, born in the UK of an American Mother and Father, is a "dual". She now lives in Australia (born an expat, always an expat. I guess) and when she comes back here, she just lines up in a "returning US Citizen" queue. When she goes "home", a Commonwealth queue with her HM Passport.
 #1620323  by David Benton

There was some tit for tat visa shenanigan's with the UK and commonwealth countries . some kind of electronic preclearance , problem been wasn't widely publicized . Airlines wouldn't let passengers on planes without it . Main problem was it was not well publicized. My sister was frantically trying to organize it for my Nephew's Scottish friend , who was enroute to NZ , and unable to obtain one in China.
 #1620326  by johnthefireman

I suspect we're wandering off topic, but just to clarify, I travel on a UK passport. Until Brexit I could visit any EU country without having to queue for entry/exit stamps. Since Brexit, UK citizens have to queue and get stamps when they enter the Schengen zone or any other EU state. Even when you go through a biometric passport gate, you still have to get a stamp in your passport after going through the gate. I visited both Germany and Italy a few months ago, so I'm speaking from experience.

My wife travels on a Kenyan passport, and I can assure you that Kenyans cannot enter the UK or the Schengen zone without a visa.
 #1620339  by Gilbert B Norman

John, I think we are very much on topic when we discuss the inconveniences that Brexit has caused UK, EU, and Commonwealth citizens.

Why the Brits ever fell for that "folderol" escapes me.
 #1620362  by Gilbert B Norman

So, John, pre-Brexit, your Mrs., with you or without you, could enter an EU country, Schengen notwithstanding, with her Kenyan passport, that I would guess was issued by an agency other than Her Majesty.

Sort of reminds me of last August entering at O'Hare, of a Dad with a US Passport, Mom with a Lebanese, and the baby not having one - and I was behind them in line, all I could think is "this will be sport". But they were quickly and courteously led away to an interview room where I trust all was sorted out.