Railroad Forums 

• Rails still in the ground-Buf State College

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1421697  by SST

I don't know who owned this section of rails [I'm guessing Erie] but I was surprised to see that a pair of rails are still in the ground. Check out Acme mapper- http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.93597,-78 ... nmore%20NY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I marked it A B C D etc but it seems to have rearranged the markers...... Marker J is a bike path along the creek but crosses a RR. I small trestle goes across the creek into an industrial yard [Now Buffalo police auto impound yard]. There are some rails in the ground going underneath the expressway [198]. But what surprised me was the next set in the ground at marker B. With the expansion of Buffalo State, new parking areas were needed which expanded into the property that these rails exist. Therefore allowing me to ride the bike around in areas off limits years ago. This picture is standing on the ROW looking SW towards the impound yard and Erie Freight house on Tonawanda St beyond the impound and to the right.

#1423850  by tonfire72

Regarding the tracks you noticed at marker B, there is a business just north of that location known as Niemiec Bros. Lumber? As a young boy (late 60's/early 70's) my dad would frequent the place with me tagging along. I remember seeing a spur that led into the lumber yard. Sometimes, there would be a boxcar set out there. The tracks you see might be what's left of that very spur. I think the same family still owns that business. You may want to stop in and ask if anyone might remember anything about that right of way.
 #1425288  by videobruce

That was called the "Cross Cut". You can see that easily on Chandler St off of Elmwood. Ave. There was a grade crossing there.