Railroad Forums 

• Railroads with "Lake Erie" in the name?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#11602  by Aa3rt

I've posted this query in the New York State forum but thought I'd post it in the Pennsylvania forum as well.

How many railroads and traction companies used "Lake Erie" in their corporate title? I'm mainly interested in railroads that actually operated (or still operate) not "paper" railroads that were incorporated but never laid any track. Here's the list I've been able to come up with from memory:

Railroads

Bessemer and Lake Erie (predecessor Pittsburgh, Shenango and Lake Erie)
Pittsburgh and Lake Erie
Wheeling and Lake Erie
New York, Lake Erie and Western (one of the Erie's names after reorganization)
Lake Erie, Franklin and Clarion
Jamestown and Lake Erie/Jamestown, Chautauqua and Lake Erie
New York and Lake Erie

Traction Companies

Buffalo and Lake Erie
Cinncinnati and Lake Erie

Toledo, Lake Erie and Western (was this a tourist line?)

I seem to think I'm forgetting one in Canada.

Additions/Corrections welcome!

#11733  by Aa3rt

Joshua-See my post with the same title in the New York State forum-the JC&LE became the Jamestown, Westfield and Northwestern in November 1913 and was electrified the following year. Electrification lasted until 1947, diesel powered freight service ended in 1950.
 #11817  by rnetzlof

I searched the index to ICC Valuation Reports at:

http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Iccindex/

and turned up:

Lake Erie, Alliance & Wheeling Railroad Company
Lake Erie and Eastern Railroad Company
Lake Erie and Fort Wayne Railroad Company
Lake Erie and Pittsburgh Railway Company
Lake Erie and Western Railroad Company
New York, Lake Erie and Western Coal and Railway Co.
New York, Lake Erie and Western Docks and Improvement Co.
Pittsburgh, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company (predecessor of B&LE)

It runs in my mind that one of the Appalachin coal RRs (Clinchfield?) had a predecessor named Elk River and Lake Erie or some such, but I can't find the reference right now.
 #11850  by chnaus

Bob, you forgot some.

Lake Erie & Pacific > Lake Erie & Louisville > Lake Erie & Western 1880

Lake Erie & Mississippi >>>>>>>>>>>>>> """" """" & """"""""" 1885

Lake Erie Youngstown & Southern > Lake Erie & Eastern > P&LE

Lake Erie Essex & Detroit River > Lake Erie & Detroit River Ry >> > Pere Marquette Ry

Lake Erie & Northern Ry

Lake Erie Alliance & Southern > Ohio River & Lake Erie 1895 >LEA&W

Lake Erie Evansville & Southwestern > Louisville Evansville & StLouis 1881

Lake Erie Wabash & St Louis > Wabash

Which ones were paper?
 #11912  by railohio

Aa3rt wrote: Toledo, Lake Erie and Western (was this a tourist line?)
Still is a tourist line that runs the former Clover Leaf between Grand Rapids and Waterville, Ohio.
 #11914  by railohio

rnetzlof wrote:It runs in my mind that one of the Appalachin coal RRs (Clinchfield?) had a predecessor named Elk River and Lake Erie or some such, but I can't find the reference right now.
Predecessor to the Clinchfield Railroad was the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railway.
 #11938  by rnetzlof

railohio wrote: Predecessor to the Clinchfield Railroad was the Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railway.
It's not that simple. To quote the valuation report on the Clinchfield:

"The Clinchfield was incorporated Jan. 26, 1905... as the South and Western RR Co.... Its corporate title was changed to its present designation [Carolina, Clinchfield & Ohio Railway] by an amendment dated Mar. 7, 1908."

But that's only 1/10th of the story. Quoting further:

"...the Clinchfield has acquired the property of 6 corporations, which in turn had succeeded 13 others; so that, either directly or indirectly, the Clinchfield is the successor of 19 corporations."

Among those was:

Lick River and Lake Erie
incorporated in Virginia, Mar. 25, 1902
conveyed to CC&O May 27, 1908

That was the "Something River and Lake Erie" I was thinking of in the earlier post.

The valuation report is in:
Reports of the Interstate Commerce Commission
Valuation Reports Volume 26

That volume was published July 1929 by the Superintendent of Documents
The report, however, is as of June 30, 1917. The material I quoted is on pages 673 and 674.
 #11943  by rnetzlof

chnaus wrote:Bob, you forgot some.
Which ones were paper?
Not really forgotten. Those names don't appear in the valuation report index, probably because they had been merged into some other company prior to the date of valuation, or were leased by some other company at the time of valuation.

The "paperness" of them might be revealed by finding the valuation reports of the companies which acquired them, then looking in Appendix 2 (assuming there is an Appendix 2) in the chapter headed "Corporate History". Usually, there is a statement there such as: "Of these, <a number> constructed no physical property. These were <list of names>."

But I can't guarantee that every valuation report follows that format. Of course, RRs whose names didn't make the list of valuation reports because they were leased weren't paper companies, since there would be nothing to lease if they were.

#13237  by walt

Also in Ohio-- the Cincinnati & Lake Erie interurban ( of "Red Devil" car fame) This interurban had the distinction of being owned and run by the same management team as ran the Philadelphia & Western RR( now SEPTA's Route 100) in the 1930's. The Red Devil Cars were the electrical and mechanical prototypes for the Brill Bullet Cars. Also, though it didn't carry "Lake Erie" in its name, the Cleveland based Lake Shore Electric Railroad, which connected with the C&LE at Toledo also refered to Lake Erie ( that is the "Lake Shore" ) in its name.