Railroad Forums 

• Railroads - "Smelling Like A Rose"

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1423468  by Gilbert B Norman

Today's Wall Street Journal reports that, predictably, the American Society of Civil Engineers gives the state of US infrastructure a "D+".

But wait!!! Railroads got a "B":

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-infrast ... 1489069827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
..The only infrastructure sector to receive a B in this year’s report was rail, where private freight companies have invested heavily—$27.1 billion in 2015—to improve service. Rail received a C+ grade in 2013. No sector in either year received an A grade
 #1448743  by Engineer Spike

This makes me think back to an old B&M ad. It mentioned how the company paid real taxes on its private right of ways. They have no political back door deals, no money diverted to a pork program, no shoddy low bid contractors, and many other factors, which result in our deteriorating roads.

Our bridges have their build dates on them. It is amazing that many are over 100 years old, and are not speed restricted, even with 286K cars. Full speed, even with full unit trains.