Railroad Forums 

• Railroads In The Movies, Part II

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#671821  by Gilbert B Norman

Marty Feldner wrote:That 4-6-4 was making some serious time, and did you notice the clear stack?
Indeed I did!!!
 #671925  by scharnhorst

The movie Benny & Joon starting credits follows a Pend Orielle Valley Railroad excuration train along a river.
 #672002  by scharnhorst

pennsy wrote:Anyone remember the great TV series, Great RR journeys of the world ??

sounds like I have heard of it. Was this played on one of the satalite tv channels?
 #672013  by Aa3rt

We had a discussion of the series "Great Railway Journeys Of The World" in this thread a couple of years ago:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 22&t=24385
 #682398  by Gilbert B Norman

In the movie Lolita (be assured quite toned down from the Nabokov novel to meet 1962 censorship standards) Westerly RI on the New Haven becomes West Ramsdale NH; James Mason arrives "there" on an FL-9 powered train.
 #682469  by scharnhorst

In the movie "Stalin" staring Robert Duvall which came out in 1992 the movie was filmed in the USSR and shows many seens of the Soviet Rail System and many steam trains.

The begining of "Enemy at the gates" starts off with Russian Trains and WWII Era Railroad guns.

The Movie "Jewel of the Nile" shows a few short clips of an ALCO Unit in Egypet and a train.
 #682520  by railfan365

To briefly revisit the subject of trains on TV, I as a recent addition to this discussion only recently saw the entries in the original thread about Petticoat Junction. The two things that I'll mention about the trian in that show are:

1. The long sots of the train running in the first five seasons were of an actual train. In the last two seasons, they filmed a scale model to cut down the cost of location shooting. Meanwhile, as another poster noted, the close ups of people riding in the train or on the engine employed mockups in the studio.

2. During the first four seasons, they had two guys running the train, one as engineer and the other dividing his efforts between being fireman and conductor. For the remainder of the series, after the actor who played the original engineer died, they had a railfann's blooper by having one guy work the train alone as engineer/conductor, as if one person could work a hand fired steamer alone.
 #684682  by Gilbert B Norman

The newly released movie "Public Enemies" starring Johnny Depp, according to the Local NBC News entertainment reporter, has footage shot at Chicago Union Station. A very short clip showed a steam locomotive which was either file footage or possibly was #261 operating out of CUS.

I guess for those here who actually go to theatres and even thoue who buy DVD's will be able to report sooner than I, as I will "just have to wait" until the flock hits either HoBO or Starz.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #685228  by scharnhorst

The movie "Tradeing Places" has a views of Amtrak as well as shots on an Amtrak Train near the end of the movie.
 #686110  by deandremouse

The 1990s film Seperate But Equal has quite some footage, F&E Units an SDF40P and 50s era stainless steel coaches its based in the 50s Yet U can see AMTRAK in it. Oh and a GP7or9 I dont know. Its purple and silver( like MBTA)
 #691940  by Gilbert B Norman

The Cecil B DeMille "epic" "Union Pacific" was aired last evening on TCM.

While of course full of cliche's, "politically incorrect" stereotyping, loose with the facts plot, "Boy I meets Girl but Boy I conveniently gets popped so Boy II can move in", railroad safety rule violations, UNAMIT, it does have an excellent "runby" of the 1937 vintage "City of LA".

The final fifteen seconds made the whole endurance contest worth it.