Railroad Forums 

• Railroads In The Movies, Part II

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#516608  by 2nd trick op

"Wildcats", filmed sometime in the 1980's, with Goldie Hawn as the improbable coach of a footnall team full of rebels and misfits at a Chicago high school.

The field adjoins a railroad line, and several freights with C&NW power pass during practices.

#525462  by TheBoyFromNewYorkCity

I recall a TV movie from 74-77 about a runaway ski train in Colorado.

I thought Ben Johnson played the engineer, but a check at imdb found nothing.

It was finally stopped by a loco coming up from behind, coupling up, then hitting the brakes.

Can\'t remember the name for anything!!!

The GG-1 in the Seven Ups was filmed in The Bronx, Co-Op City, having just come off the King of All Railroad Bridges.

Why was it called The Emperor of the North POLE when it first came out?

Thanks all.             

TheBoyFromNewYorkCity™

#525690  by CNW5022-A519

It is called Runaway. Look under that in INDB and check the forum about the D&rg movie that is the subject of that forum.

#525766  by Steve F45

I've searched with no luck. I was watching back to the future III and wanted to know 1. Where was the ending scenes with the train wreck/time travelling train filmed? 2. what railroad was it that crushed the delorean?

#526802  by Death Star

Steve F45 wrote:I've searched with no luck. I was watching back to the future III and wanted to know 1. Where was the ending scenes with the train wreck/time travelling train filmed? 2. what railroad was it that crushed the delorean?
Alco S-6 units owned by the Ventura County Railway and the Steam Locomotive is Sierra No. 3 for the Back To THe Future movie renumbered to 131. It is also owned by the Venturs County Railway too I believe and was used in the TV show Peticoat Junction.
 #531320  by Death Star

2nd trick op wrote:"Wildcats", filmed sometime in the 1980's, with Goldie Hawn as the improbable coach of a footnall team full of rebels and misfits at a Chicago high school.

The field adjoins a railroad line, and several freights with C&NW power pass during practices.
Are those actuall freights? I mean they are real trains but are those actuall scheduled freights or did the movie company ask CNW to operrate trains by the field for filming? See I don't know how those things work.
 #538274  by Gilbert B Norman

To my surprise, there has been no mention here of the Jane Fonda Vanessa Redgrave flick "Julia", which is presently making rounds at the various Starz channels.

There is considerable rail footage that appears authentic depicting a Paris to Berlin rail journey during the "interbellum' period - including interior photos of both SNCF Coach stock and Wagon Lit Sleepers. Also; interiors of a full service Dining Car, which to my knowledge in Europe, is extinct.

Fair warning: there are "orientation issues" subtly addressed - just as there were in real life for the movie's main character, playwright Lillian Hellman.

#539000  by Death Star

I saw the front cover to "Jakob the Liar" a 1999 Robin William's film set in World War II Nazi Germany. I didn't watch the movie but the cover made me read about it. The cover had I think either a Grand Trunk or a Southern Pacific GP series engine because the engne is red. Now I know for a fact the German's didn't have any EMD GP series engines during WWII so could someone fill me in on this movie?
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Jakob- ... 20576.jpeg
 #542818  by Gilbert B Norman

Presently being aired on HoBO (HiDef on the main channel), is this "coming of age" flick. At first, it looked like another "soap" that was going to get some big screen time, but then Jane Fonda is simply too accomplished an actress (this Viet Nam Vet has long since tuned out her politics and has focused on her acting skills) to touch any production - even one co-starring off-screen "bad girl" Lindsay Lohan - that does not have the potential of "quality'.

I found such to be the case - and I did not need an IMDB reviewer to tell me so.

Nevertheless, a fictional Idaho & Northwestern GP-35 made a "cameo'. Production credit is given to the Fillmore and Western RR.

IMDB reports the filming location of Monrovia CA, which of course is convenient for 1) the producers to hold down costs, and 2) some on location "hill country' backdrops that could pass for Northern Idaho (I've been there during my MILW years).
 #543287  by shortlinerailroader

In the trailer, there is a train that stops due to the crew losing communication with "everyone". Equipment looks like MARC or some other northeastern commuter line. At first I thought unit was a CF7, but nose is too angular, like a GP38.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U2IMangg19M
 #550524  by Steve F45

Be kind, rewind with Jack Black has NJT in the beginning. And they also use the New York and Greenwood Lake a few times. it was actually pretty cool to see them using the very very small shortline.
 #550658  by CNJGeep

shortlinerailroader wrote:In the trailer, there is a train that stops due to the crew losing communication with "everyone". Equipment looks like MARC or some other northeastern commuter line. At first I thought unit was a CF7, but nose is too angular, like a GP38.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U2IMangg19M
That's SEPTA, with one of its two unique RL1 locomotives.
Anyone else here but me think it's strange that there's like eight conductors for a roughly three or four car train?