Railroad Forums 

• Railroads in Alaska and Hawaii

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

#351796  by pennsy

Hi All,

And how about Alaska and Hawaii ??

#351811  by wigwagfan

Pennsy,

To quote the original post:
Ocala Mike wrote:South Dakota and Wyoming are the only states in the contiguous US that are not served by Amtrak
Alaska and Hawaii are automatically excluded.

#351826  by John_Perkowski

To further answer the question, Alaska was already served by the US DOT wholly owned Alaska Railroad (at least wholly owned as of RPSA 70). There was no reason to integrate it.

As to Hawaii, it's an absolute moot point.
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

#351894  by pennsy

Hi All,

Alaska RR's seem to have their situation well in hand, as verified by the PBS series on journeys into Alaska. Excellent series, by the way.

Hawaii is a totally different animal. Their RR's are somewhat limited, and are rather small. I would imagine that they have their own system of commuter RR's etc. At the RR museum at Griffith Park, Travel Town, there is an Hawaiian train on display. And yes, it is a steamer.

#351911  by Gilbert B Norman

To the extent that Wikipedia can be considered a credible information source, Here you go Mr. Pennsy.

Although I can claim to have set foot on the ground in each of the fifty states during this life, Hawaii is my least credible "claim". I was on the military side of HNL (Hickam AFB) from roundly 0200 to 0400 (HT) during July 8, 1968 coming 'back to The World from The Nam".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

#351912  by Ken W2KB

It's my understanding that the Hawaiian railroads that once existed on a couple or three of the islands ceased operating decades ago, but in relatively recent years a portion of a couple of them have been resurrected as tourist/museum operation.

#351914  by John_Perkowski

Split from the States without Amtrak Service thread, as for AK and HI, the topic seems to have moved to general railroading. Off to Mr Paulson's Western Railfan forum.