Railroad Forums 

• Railroad-related restaurants in New England

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#307556  by jcpatten

There's Reunion Station in Damariscotta, Maine. I think they've gone under various different names throughout the years. The restaurant is a caboose and a boxcar stuck together side-by-side, plus a regular building for a kitchen.

My wife calls it the "Train Wreck", which gives you an idea the shape it's in. It's not the prettiest restaurant in the world outside or in. Both cars look to be in pretty tough shape.

#307583  by Scooter

caboose9 wrote:Scooter said, "The Bradford Junction Restaurant, Bradford, NH, has a caboose attached to the building."

Hi Scooter,

What is the origin and number of the caboose?

Thanks, Roger
Roger, I don't know off the top of my head but I will check it out next time I'm through there.

#307679  by eriemike

The Red Parka Restaurant in Glen, New Hampshire on Route 302, a block north of the junction with Route 16. It is on your right heading north. The red caboose that is on one side of the restaurant appears to be an old wooden one, possibly from the B&M or MEC. Does anyone know?

#307699  by citystation1848

Adding to the list,
In Milford, NH, there's an ex-B&M caboose behind an old house next door to the school on Elm Street, just off of the Oval. It was moved there maybe 5+ years ago? It was moved for an ice cream stand being added onto the gift shop that was located in the house. The inside of the caboose had photos of trains and some railroad decorations.

There were some issues with building permits and food liscences, but things quieted over. When I went through the center of Milford this past summer, the caboose is still there, but I'm not sure if they still do ice cream as the business has changed names and the caboose has been repainted.

Also, Derry, NH, the Depot Square Steakhouse did a nice job renovating the old station into a classy steakhouse. The interior was done tastefully and contains some newspaper articles found in walls of the building.

Matt

#307814  by wog820

Ya know what I miss is Box Car Willy's that was in the Hyannis yard :P They had the best fried zucchini stix,always great for checking out the action too :wink:

#307916  by Engineer999

I believe the RR car attached to the Red Parka Pub in Glen, NH is a former MEC flanger, not a caboose. It still has the flanger hardware under it.

I've eaten there many times and the steaks are excellent.

Engineer999

#307988  by caboose9

eriemike wrote, "The Red Parka Restaurant, Glen, NH, on Route 302, a block north of the junction with Route 16. The caboose that is on one side of the restaurant appears to be a wooden one, possibly from the B&M or MEC. Does anyone know?"

Hi,

While I don't know the origin, I'm told it might be an ex-C&O.

Whose trucks is it on? Any sill markings?

Thanks, Roger

#307990  by caboose9

citystation1848 wrote, "In Milford, NH, there's an ex-B&M caboose behind a house next door to the school on Elm Street, just off of the Oval."

B&M 447.

#307993  by caboose9

Engineer999 wrote, "I believe the car attached to the Red Parka Pub, Glen, NH is a former MEC flanger, not a caboose. It still has the flanger hardware under it."

Anyone have a photo of this one? Thanks, Roger

#308317  by GP40MC 1116

I remember growing up in Watertown, MA their was a restauruant called I think "Union Station" or Union something or other it had a section or a whole part of a staneless steel coach passenger car. It was actually down the road from the RR crossing of the now abandonded section of the Guilford Watertown Industrial Track

#308356  by eriemike

Here is another one, though it is an actual street car. The Sisson Diner in Middleboro, Mass. It still has the dish on the front where the headlight once was. I have never personally seen it except in photos. Heard that it was closed for awhile, but has recently opened up again.

#309220  by Robert Paniagua

There's also the Fast Food Burger King on Rte 18 in Bridgewater which was the original Bridgewater Sttion on the Middleboro Line, if you sit at the window seats you'll see the trains go by.

#309251  by eriemike

The Beverly Depot in Beverly, Mass. is a nice restaurant, along with the Sports Depot in Allston. Was sitting in a booth that is right along the ROW of the B&A when a commuter train roared past. Boy did that make me jump.

Wasn't there another railroad related restaurant in Allston called the Stockyard? And didn't they use an old New Haven dining car?
 #309263  by Cosmo

Stockyard restaurant in Allston closed a while back. The rr coach was scrapped on sight. pics in NERails archive under New Haven or NYNH&H.
Damn shame. :(

#309267  by Guilford Guy

acccording to the November issue of railpace due to remodeling mcdonalds doesnt want the coachw hich is actually NYC and is donating or selling it to the Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum