• Railroad noise -or- Is half-witted better than nit-wit?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GandyDancer

From today's "we gotta fill some space on page 24" list, comes this pointless article in the Home News Tribune:

"WOODBRIDGE: Isabel Klopsch has heard the sound of trains connecting near her Sewaren house since she moved there in 1969. But the loud noise, caused by the trains coupling, never really fazed her and her neighbors until recently, Klopsch said.

"With the threat of terrorism, we don't know from one day to the next whether this bang is them coupling or it's terrorism," the 70-year-old said. Klopsch, who lives next to the Conrail railroad tracks on Holton Street, said she would like advance warning before the noise takes place."

That having been said...

Klopsch explained it is hard for her and her neighbors to complain about the noise. "Everyone is upset but we really can't complain," Klopsch said. "The trains were here before me."

Right on, Isabel. So what was the point of this exercise?

http://www.thnt.com/thnt/story/0,21282,927194,00.html

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Haha! good one!

Stupid NIMBY's....

by NIMBYkiller

ROFLMAO!!! We'd like advanced warning!!! Oh man that's funny.

Gotta give her some credit though for udnerstanding she cant complain cuz the RR was there first.

by Jtgshu

I think they should put big loudspeakers on top of the engines and whne they are getting ready to couple of, yell in them (volume cranked up so everyone can hear) "OKAY, WE ARE GETTING READY TO COUPLE UP SOME TRAIN CARS.....THIS IS NOT A TERRORISM ATTACK, THIS IS A SIMPLE RAILROAD OPERATION"

No matter what time of day (railroad is a 24 hour operation you know), so every one knows that its only the train coupling up. I bet they would change their tune real fast!!!!

by GandyDancer

It's even funnier when you consider that this has always been such a noisy area. With lots of booms and roars from the refineries nearby, the railroad noise was never much of an issue. Sometimes it sounded like the refineries were blowing up when they'd open up one of the burn-off towers and nobody really noticed much. One time, somthing let go at one of the refineries and almost every house, tree, lawn, street and car in town was covered with yellow sulphur dust.

After the 1918 Morgan explosion, I know a lot of locals remained jumpy for decades when so much as a door slammed, but that was a generation ago.

Terrorists in Sewaren? The Chem Coast vital to national security? I don't know. But if they mess with the REO diner, they had better know I'll be coming after them. Best ever char-broiled hamburgers -- black crust on the outside and blood rare on the inside!

by prt1607j

hahahha i just happened to write a paper on NIMBYS vs local dirt tracks.. she is the epitome of them