Railroad Forums 

• Railroad endorsed railfan spots

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#430196  by Steve F45

Im not exactly sure if this is even the right forum to put this in, but couldn't really find an appropriate one.

Im trying to find info on certain locations that are in a way endorsed by railroads such as Horseshoe Curve in Altoona,PA. I've seen pics of a place with a large tunnel opening and kind of a boardwalk lookout near it.

What are some places that are railfan area's or not just railfan areas but more or less have turned into great spots to railfan and are ok'd by the big railroads?

#433040  by doepack

Rochelle IL, is a popular railroad-endorsed railfan park, about 35 min. west of Chicago. While the photography angles aren't the best, the park includes a gazebo and picnic tables, and is the site of a busy UP/BNSF crossing that sees over a 100 trains per day, so there's plenty of action...

#433092  by Steve F45

thanks. I'll try and look it up and find more info on it.

I have this idea in my head for a railfan spot here in NJ, well 2 actually. 1 would be part of a rail trail that is in the works to be built. The other is just something i thought of one day while down near cp5.

#434176  by hebron_hapt

Not necessarily endorsed by CSX but certainly embraced by railfans and the town is the area of downtown Folkston GA. Folkston actively promotes itself as a train-watching locale. Very friendly folks, good action - worth the trip!

Another spot - the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton Ontario Canada.

#441183  by lakeshoredave

Austell, GA near Atlanta on the NS is another spot similiar to Folkston.

#522660  by PMWood

How about near Denver, Colorado?

#523291  by CSX Conductor

lakeshoredave wrote:Austell, GA near Atlanta on the NS is another spot similiar to Folkston.
Wish I had known that when I was in Atlanta. :(
 #588590  by umtrr-author

Also not officially endorsed but "hassle-free": Fairport, New York, east of Rochester, where the West Shore line rejoins the main (Water Level Route).

There has been talk of putting in a railfan friendly observation point, but for now there are a couple of parking lots near Route 250 (Main Street in Fairport's business district) that are handy.

Our "Tuesday Night Group" unofficially congregates there during the summer on (who'd have guessed?) Tuesday nights. A good evening brings out a dozen or more of us.