Railroad Forums 

• Railroad action in Mt. Vernon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#30669  by MR77100

This town seems to have several railroads going through with the likes of NS, UP(MP), and CSX. How busy is Mt. Vernon, and what lines are still there?

#220018  by cifn2

Just joined up and found your post, I know for a fact that the Union Pacific Line is in fact active, I was through there the other day and their tracks are well maintained and they have a small yard on the East end of town near the tracks. The NS tracks I believe run East-West they are active. Now I am not sure about CSX.

#267358  by chicagorails

20 per 24 hrs give or take

#283819  by burp621

Be sure to check out the old Precision rebuild yard. The last time I passed through Mt. Vernon there were still a lot of "fallen flags" parked out back waiting for re-fit.

#467343  by emd_SD_60

The CSX tracks now belong to Evansville and Western.

http://www.evwr.com/

#469049  by TRNBUF

Mt. Vernon is very active still today. The UP Mt. Vernon Sub. has more traffic now than ever since the UP got the Pinckneyville Sub. going again, which connects to the Mt Vernon Sub. south of town.

The NS Illinois Division runs through there and crosses the UP. They are very active as well running about 10 - 12 trains a day. Trains you will see on the NS are:
NS #111, #112, #239, #168, #167, #223, #224, also others that don't run everyday.
The best time I found for NS action is during the afternoon.

Then there is the Evansville and Western Railroad. They only run about 4 times a week.

Last, the NRE shops there at Mt. Vernon are always something to see. You just never know what will be parked there waiting to be worked on or ones that are freshly painted ready to go.

#469057  by cifn2

UP Pinkneyville Sub has been active for some time, usually everything other than Z trains go through there unless, under powered, or crew not qualified, or they cannot be handled on the Mt. Vernon Sub. The Pinkneyville sub only runs southbound trains.
TRNBUF wrote:Mt. Vernon is very active still today. The UP Mt. Vernon Sub. has more traffic now than ever since the UP got the Pinckneyville Sub. going again, which connects to the Mt Vernon Sub. south of town.

The NS Illinois Division runs through there and crosses the UP. They are very active as well running about 10 - 12 trains a day. Trains you will see on the NS are:
NS #111, #112, #239, #168, #167, #223, #224, also others that don't run everyday.
The best time I found for NS action is during the afternoon.

Then there is the Evansville and Western Railroad. They only run about 4 times a week.

Last, the NRE shops there at Mt. Vernon are always something to see. You just never know what will be parked there waiting to be worked on or ones that are freshly painted ready to go.