Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Worcester, Ma Freight Operations

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1352554  by ALCOS4EVER

Hello -

I am going to be in Worcester, MA this Saturday 10/17/15. I am looking for a place to watch and photograph CSX operations. I used to go to Worcester years ago but I have been told the site I went to by the scrap yard no longer exists. I am looking for a safe place where I won't be trespassing. Any suggestions? Does any one have any recomendations on Providence and Worcester locations as well as they are in the same area?

Thanks - ALCOS4EVER
 #1352558  by RRCOMM

Park in the commuter lot then hike up to the station platform. On the west end you will have the P&W / B&M and in front of you the B&A. Bring some lunch, toilet facilities are available in the station. Done it numerous times with no problems.
 #1352576  by RRCOMM

You can see some of the CSX yard, it's much longer than it used to be (to the east). I don't know if P&W operates to Gardner on Sat.. The Gardner freights are a lot bigger than they used to be. Q422 and Q423 CSX P&W trains do operate on Sat.. Q426 and Q427 CSX PAR trains also show Sat operation. Most intermodal trains operate on Sat too but I'm not sure about times. Commuter operates to Worcester Saturday too but on a reduced schedule.

You will need CSX NA, P&W, PAR and Keolis radio channels to keep up with the action.

Have Fun :-D
 #1352612  by johnpbarlow

Another vantage point that has become available in the past few years due the makeover of the CSX intermodal yard is the overlook from Franklin St on the southeast side of the yard. It's good for morning photography but the chain link fence that was installed along the yard side of the street presents challenges! See attached photo as an example. Plus the location doesn't have the creature comforts of Union Station (BTW, there are lots of good restaurants on Shrewsbury St within easy walking distance of WUS) and it is expected to be breezy with temps in the low fifties this Saturday. Another perspective that presents well lit photo angles is the parking garage across the tracks from WUS.
Attachments:
MBTA eb passing CSX Intermodal yd Worcester 041215 small.jpg
MBTA eb passing CSX Intermodal yd Worcester 041215 small.jpg (337.58 KiB) Viewed 4448 times