Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning the southern tier

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#1337467  by Spin

I'm taking a trip to Scranton in mid July for a get together at Steamtown with other train simmers. I plotted a trip across the Southern Tier from Meadville to Bingo, an area I always wanted to check out. What are the interesting points along the route? Stations, towers, yards, the usual. Is it easy to find "MP S0", the beginning of the A&GW?
 #1337550  by johnpbarlow

The stretch of the Tier between Hornell and Binghamton has the highest train frequency at 12 or so per day. One train pair, 38T/39T CP e/w haulage, uses CP power and will disappear in August when NS is expected to take ownership of the D&H South lines. Due to the NS takeover, CP Candy Apple red locomotives will also disappear between Binghamton and Scranton. As for highlights, between Meadville and Binghamton, Salamanca and Hornell are shadows of their former selves as major RR towns (as is LV's nearby Sayre, PA yard). Olean is center of operations for WNY&P's fleet of Alco/MLW locomotives. I believe they operate daily south to Pa but only a few times a week between Meadville and Hornell. Gang Mills is an active NS yard supporting interchange with Bath & Hammondsport RR and Wellsboro & Corning RR. There is also active interchange with the Lehigh RR at Sayre and Owego. Binghamton can be busy but RR ops sprawl between the Chenango St overpass at the west end of the Liberty St yards (site of the NS yard office and the still standing DL&W station), NYS&W's ex-Erie track along Court St, and CP's E Binghamton yard. There are many scenic photo venues along the Tier and down to Scranton on the ex-DL&W when you do find a train. Track is good as trains move along at 40-50mph. Good luck!
 #1338878  by s4ny

If you are coming down I-81 from Binghamton to Scranton, get off the interstate at Great Bend and ride south on
US 11 which is parallel. US 11 is the Lackawanna Trail and is part of the old roadbed.

You will go right by the Viaduct which is celebrating its 100th birthday this year.

Continue south on 11 and south of Clarks Summit there are a lot of restaurants.

From Clarks Summit to Scranton the CP tracks will be just to your right all the way.