Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning the CSX River Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1412494  by ebtmikado

The River Sub can be funny:
Sometimes busy, and sometimes dead.

The River Line, on the other hand, has frequent DLRV service between Camden and Trenton.

Lee
 #1412557  by Noel Weaver

Under the New York Central for a long time it was referred to as the River Division and indeed during that period it was a division in every sense of the word with its own superintendent and its own timetable. I have a good number of old New York Central River Division timetables. Penn Central did not refer to it as a division but rather as a line i.e. The River Line and it was at times part of the New York Division or the New Jersey Division. They moved the dispatcher's office during that period from Weehawken to 466 Lexington Avenue and then to Penn Station. After Conrail took over the dispatcher was moved to E.Port and finally to Mt. Laurel I think. Eventually it was moved in late Conrail years to Selkirk where it is now. Names change as do traffic patterns but today it is probably one of the most important lines in the northeast. I am glad I had the opportunity to run this line for several years. I enjoyed working it but the territory north of the New York/New Jersey State Line was the best part of the trip.
Noel Weaver