Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning Rehoboth

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#155842  by ANDY117

Is there anywhere to railfan around Rehoboth Beach, DE?

#156669  by VCRail

The only railfanning at Rehoboth is leaning on the boardwalk railing and surveying the beach. To see trains, it depends how far from the beach you want to go. Delaware Coast Line operates out to Lewes (beyond the ferry terminal) maybe once a week/as needed to serve the Barcroft (has a new name now) plant. Most regular operation would be coal trains running to the Indian River power plant near Millsboro. Depending where you're coming from, the most power you're going to see would be in Harrington. Then there's the Maryland & Delaware.

#158012  by VCRail

To live wild, I saw Delaware Coast Line at the road crossing in Nassau today (8/17) at 1630 on the way back from Lewes. Power was RS36 #2 pulling DCL caboose 1000 (for shoving going east) along with 3 HOKX tanks from SPI Pharma (ex-Barcroft) at the end of the line.

#285457  by ANDY117

It's that time of the year again! We leave tmorrow. Where's this coal train line? That would be interesting. We're also headed to Baltimore for a day as well.

#287097  by Legio X

Is there still a spur that runs down to Rehoboth from the DCL's Lewes Branch? It's shown on some maps, but I've never seen it for myself. Is it still intact, or if not, when was it ripped up? What did it serve?

#381114  by Conrail1990

I live in DE but I dont think there is a line in Rehobeth.
 #383276  by RailVet

I don't know when the rail line to Rehoboth was pulled up, but when my family went there on vacation in the late 1960s and early 1970s, the line was intact up to the western side of the canal but completely covered with heavy vegetation growth outside of town. Today it's hard to find traces of where the line ran, and I think it's been plowed under where it ran across fields between Lewes and Rehoboth.

#384066  by PRSLFAN

I saw a picture of train service to Rehoboth taken in 1900. I also wonder when the rail were taken up? I don't know if anyone knows when service ended to Rehoboth?
 #384333  by RailVet

The best place to find the answer would be in the book "Rails along the Chesapeake a history of railroading on the Delmarva Peninsula 1827-1978" by John Hayman. It was printed in 1979 and is the best history on Delmarva Peninsula railroading that you'll ever find.