Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning near Brampton, Ontario

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1134264  by mirrodie

SO We're taking the family ot a wedding near the following address:

10 Nevets Road Brampton, ON

I was curious if there were any trains nearby and was happy to see a huge railyard spitting distance from the hotel.

Can anyone point me to spots nearby where I can see some trains in action, rolling by?
Thank you.
 #1134286  by Ken V

The nearby railyard is CN's Brampton Intermodal Terminal (referred to as "bit"). As the name suggests, the yard is used only for container and piggyback trains. CN's main yard in the area is MacMillan Yard in Vaughan ON, 9 miles east. The place to see trains roll by would be the Brampton GO/VIA station downtown (directions). On weekends the parking lot is almost empty and there are signals in both directions to alert you of approaching trains.
 #1134443  by mirrodie

Hey Ken thank you for your very prompt reply. One follow-up question. That GO/via station: is that also place to catch passenger for freight trains at speed? Would love a suggestion For a spot where I could see things really moving along at a pace faster then say 25 miles an hour

I think it would be cool to see the Brampton Yard. I am a former rail employee and although my son has seen a railyard, I'm sure he has never seen something like this. I assume there are safe places yard side where he can get an inkling of the size of the place?
 #1134735  by Ken V

Freights don't travel all that fast through the Brampton station, maybe 35 mph tops, and all passenger trains stop there. There are only 4 VIA trains daily stopping at Brampton, two in the morning and two in the evening, and GO only operates through there on weekdays at rush hour. I can't think of anywhere in the area where freight trains really move. To see passenger trains at speed, you could try the Bramalea GO station (Steeles Ave and Bramalea Rd) instead. It's much closer to the hotel and the VIA trains don't stop there, but the sight lines aren't as good as at the downtown station.

I haven't spent any time at BIT so I don't know if there are any good spots to see anything from. The yard is pretty much surrounded by industrial and commercial buildings. You might be able to see some yard action from the Queen Street overpass (about a 15 minute walk north and east from the hotel). The CPR intermodal yard is about 6 miles northeast of there, at Rutherford Rd and Highway 50, and, although somewhat smaller, is in a much more open area.