Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in Kansas?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#744886  by WileeCoyote

Hey all,

Having done some research in the meantime, I figured out that I live next to the former Kansas Pacific line that started out in Leavenworth and goes all the way to Denver. I'd like to go railfanning along it, mostly because I can and because I've never really gone railfanning in America before. I would be very thankful if you guys could provide me with the following:

1. Radio frequencies for hot box detectors, axle counters, signal boxes etc.
2. Timetables or at least times and days when trains usually run more frequently.
3. Good spots to photograph trains on the line.
4. Locations of industries and businesses that have their products/materials delivered or taken away by rail and when.
5. Switchyards, major meeting/passing points and crew change points.
6. Any other information that might be helpful for railfanning.

Oh yeah, if any of you might have some of that info for the part of the BNSF Transcon that runs through Kansas, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with it as well :-)

Greetings from cold, sunny Manhattan,
WileeCoyote
 #753580  by Mikejf

I used to live in Juction City, 20 years ago almost. There is a small yard there and a car rebuilding shop that I used to live next to. They were doing boxcars and small covered hoppers while I was there, and quite possibly still do. If you are out for a ride, head down Grant Ave. toward Ft. Riley. Keep an eye out on the right. You will see the big buildings they have there. I am unsure if they are still in operation, but the buildings should still be there. I was there 2 years ago and they were in business then.
Abilene is a crossroad town. There is the tourist railroad, Abilene and Smokey Valley, located next to the Eisenhower Center. They are restoring an old Santa Fe steamer. Also BNSF comes through there and crosses UP on a diamond. Unknown how often. There are several Grain Silos here served by both roads.
Further west, Salina is a busy UP rail yard. Kyle used to come in with Unit grain trains, along with Central Kansas railway. They built a new vehicle bridge over the yard, so you may be able to walk up the sidewalk and get some decent overhead shots. Unit coal trains were passing through, 2 or 3 a day, last time I was there, as well as locals and general merchandise trains.
For railfanning, There is a road that follows the line most of the way, from Enterprise to Salina, and further west. Old Highway 40. It may be 140 on the maps now. Hard to tell on mine. West of Salina, between there and Hayes, the terrain is not near as flat as it is East, so there are some chances for different viewing/photographig opportunities there, mostly on Highway 140. That is the old Kansas Pacific line, and some places could still look like 1900, if you find the right spot.
Hope this helps.
Mike