Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning in Ayer, MA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#47055  by jrc520

Any tips/warnings concerning railfanning out in Ayer? I was there today, got some nice pictures(and yes, stayed away from the rails). I was only there for about 2 hours. The first hour was ok, but by the second hour I felt like I had worn my welcome, so to speak. Not like I was hanging by the tracks the whole time, since one does have to get food and drink from time to time, but still. Any good places to watch from, or places to avoid? Any better places in MA to railfan?

#47123  by NellsChoo

If you are social, visit on a Sunday morning. This is when the "old timers" meet at Ayer station. This is a group of railfans who range in age and have been visiting the area to watch trains forever.

It seems traffic through Ayer is subject to the alignment of the planets. One day, you will see plenty, the next day, nothing. A scanner really helps...

You can see run through freight, the T, switching out of the yard, layovers while crews get lunch, coal trains, autoracks going down to the Ford unloading facility, local switchers, etc. It all depends on your timing.

Don't walk too far down the wye into the yard area. That is a no-no. THOUGH it does seem if you have a bike, no camera, and a stupid look on your face, you can bike right into the yard!!! Go figure...

The Willows is a spot you can see things. This is the spot east of Ayer station where the T and freight tracks split. There is a grade crossing there. Then NEMCO way, but it leads to private property. Snake Hill RD goes through private property and then down a dirt road. I feel odd being up there. Watch your back...

I have never had anyone get mad at me for being around the area, but I try to obey the rules, so to speak. Watch out for the local drunks by the station.

Can anyone elaborate more? I myself am always willing to learn new tidbits!!

Jonelle

Willows

Local switcher with autoracks for Ford

CSX power about to go south into the yard

#47241  by SnoozerZ49

I've never heard of anyone wearing out there welcome at the platforms in Ayer. The SUnday crowd is quite a group. The "Papparazzi" are out in force and seem like a cheerful bunch.

The rail on the number 2 track is being replaced through Ayer this week and it can cause some interesting bottlenecks.

Have fun and Wave

#47288  by jrc520

thanks folks. I'll be there this sunday.

#47627  by CSX Conductor

JRC, of course another thing to consider is, are you driving, or do you rely on public transit.

In case you have to rely on public transit, CSXT's main-line can be watched from the station at Worcester, with the P&W's Gardner Branch joining the main-line at CP-45, which is right at the west side of the station.

Framingham can also be a good spot for someone without a car.......and you can walk over by the RMV and watch happenings in the North Yard from the RMV's parking lot.

as far as traffic, it can be pretty sporadic on CSX just as Jonelle stated about Ayer.

#47678  by jrc520

thanks. I drive, a boat at that( http://public.wit.edu/~cutiettaj/me.html ), but yea, I might check those spots out if I can. School starts soon, so I won't have much time(though I will be in Boston, so I may railfan there). Any radio frequencies that would be good to listen into? I have the T programed in, but I don't have anyone else yet.

#47781  by CSX Conductor

JRC, thanks for the biography of you.......but you left out one thing.....what do you eat for breakfast? LOL

some frequencies that I know off the top of my head for Amtrak and CSXT are 160.070 160.800 and 160.920

#47849  by jrc520

CSX: ROFL. To answer: a bagel. if even.
Nells: very nice, crown vics rock.

To all: what time should I show up? I'm in Woburn, and plan on leaving @ 9am. that a good time?

#47996  by jrc520

went. saw nothing. was there from about 9:30ish to noon. good group though. don't know if I will still be going, since school starts up soon.

#48776  by NellsChoo

Last night we got ice cream then sat at Ayer. We saw the usual two Ts as well as the CSX SEPO and an eastbound Guilford freight. See? You never know what you will see or when at Ayer!!!

Too dark to take pics... :(