Railroad Forums 

• Railfanning around Frazer, PA?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#215987  by mb3

I'll be spending a weekend (Fri-Sun) soon in Frazer, PA. I see from maps of the area that there are some rails near Routes 202 & 30. Can anyone tell me whose they are and how active they are? Also, what frequencies should I use in my scanner?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

#216170  by njtmnrrbuff

Your railfanning activities in Fraser is mostly passenger. Amtrak's Keystone Corridor passes through there, along with Septa trains, as far as Thorndale. Septa RRD has a big yard there. While there are no stations in Fraser, the town is located between Malvern and Whitford, I believe. You might see a freight or two but certainly plenty of amtrak trains. I don't think septa runs west of Paoli on weekends. There is a freight line, I think the Trenton cutoff, which meets the Amtrak main at Whitford.

#216210  by RDGAndrew

The Trenton cutoff only sees one train per day west of the Schuylkill River - it's a steel train but I have no idea what its schedule is. Amtrak is in the process of rebuilding the Keystone Corridor (Amtrak owns it, cost for rebuilding is split 50/50 with the state of PA) and in Frazer, it's a new railroad from the ballast up. Fresh concrete ties, CWR, the works. They're working on the catenary to enable electric operation again, but for now expect to see Genesis diesels on the point of the Keystone trains (Phila.-Harrisburg) and on the one Pennsylvanian that runs through to/from Pittsburgh. Check www.amtrak.com and use their schedule finder between PHL and LNC (Lancaster) to get an idea of when which train will zip by Frazer. To see if you'll catch any SEPTA Silverliners, check www.septa.org, and follow the regional rail schedule links to the R5 Paoli/Downingtown PDF.