Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Weekend, Sat 10-15-05 @ Conway Scenic

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#176132  by greenus90

Well, as those who live in NH know, it was quite rainy and dreary at Conway today- some updates and scuttlebutt I overheard:

Apparently the 2ea GE's they picked up for the Notch train are in pretty poor shape. The master Mechanic, Courtney, has been working very hard to repair a nagging leak (not sure what kind of leak) with the unit still painted in Quincy Bay livery. It is in stall 1 on the roundhouse. The Conrail painted unit is still outside. The conversation I overheard from the conductor went something like "they could have bought 5 GP9's with dynamics for the money they spent on the GE's and the GE's are harder to get parts for and fix too" so we will see what happens

0-6-0 7470 is close to firing up, save to the cracked firebox which will <hopefully> be repaired this winter. With the new ownership committed to steam let's hope this comes to fruitition

Same conductor speculated that the 501 will be restored right after the 7470 is done. Let's see how long that takes.

The yellow 44T they picked up (the 350?) apparently has coupler problems at both ends where they stretch and slack excessively. This still needs to be worked out

F7A 4266,GP7 573,Alco S4 1055 and FP9's 6505 and 6516 were all out and running; the 4266 on helper, the 573 on the valley train (and helped us on the Sawyer river extra get back to Conway) and the 1055 was on freight extra duty, smoking all the way. 6505 and 6516 on the Notch train to Whitefield and back.

The train I was on was the Sawyer River passenger extra behing 44 Ton #15 and one passenger car, the Mount Willard. Courtney was at the throttle and expertly piloted the train, past Roger's crossing and past fourth Iron to the passing track at the former Sawyer River station house up the steep (at points) grade. Note that one of the engines in #15 is inoperable (blowing out antifreeze, when it DID run according to Court) and Courtney managed to make it up the grade with only 1ea 380 HP engine. "On a wing and a prayer" in his words. We then backtracked past Mountain junction and went on the newly rebuilt section of the former Maine Central Mountain Div, a few miles, backtracked to Mountain Jct; where the 573 coupled to us and pulled us back to N Conway.
All in all, save for the weather, a great experience. The 4 hr roundtrip ride was $15 and they guys earned the tips for sure.

Pictures @ photos.nerail.org under Dave Ricard
 #176420  by MEC407

greenus90 wrote:The conversation I overheard from the conductor went something like "they could have bought 5 GP9's with dynamics for the money they spent on the GE's and the GE's are harder to get parts for and fix too"
Don't know who his GP9 source is, but I'd like to know about it! Last I checked, GP9s in decent running condition were going for anywhere from $60K to $125K each. $60K x 5 = $300K. I have no idea what CSRR spent on the two GEs, but if it was $300K, they were ripped off. Used GEs are generally less expensive than used 4-axle EMDs, and as far as the parts are concerned, they are readily available and no more expensive than EMD parts.

#176425  by wolfmom69

You think conductor might have been talking about 5 of the 6 SLR GP-9s that were at North Stratford(where the GE's were)????

Bud :(

#176467  by spinfire

I was there on Saturday (my first ever CSRR railfan weekend, and a very wet one). I took the notch trip to milepost 101 on Saturday; Even managed to brave the open car for a while. It was very wet. However, I have never seen the scenery in the notch like this in the fall -- Beautiful foliage combined with the roaring brooks and waterfalls you typically only find in the spring.

We left from the Depot St. parking lot. 4266 pulled our train down to Depot St. from Mt. Junction. For some reason the crossing gates on that section don't seem to be operating (why?), but the newly relocated bit otherwise looks very nice and gave a very smooth ride. The beaver dam/lodge at Pudding pond on the Redstone branch is very neat. We then headed for Mt. Jct where we left 4266 idling and continued to Notchland. Passengers could get out and photograph while the engineer backed the train down the line and then accelerated for a bit of a smoke show runby. He was going pretty quick across the crossing!

They split 6505 and 6516 at Fabyans and continued to MP101, where they can go no further. We came back and reassembled the units, then came back to North Conway where #15 towed us back to the Depot St. platform.

I saw the new GE #21 in the roundhouse on Saturday. Judging from some photos on nerail, #21 actually poked its head out and made a run, but not very far. I sure hope they paint those GEs soon, the colors on #21 are pretty revolting if you ask me. They don't have the magic of the F units, but the varied roster is nice.

I'm pretty confident the 7470 will be repaired this winter. I got a good look at it in the roundhouse. MEC501... I would love to see that running, but it really looks like it is in terrible condition.

I look forward to next year, and spending the full weekend instead of just one day. My biggest complaint about the rain was that I was so nervous about getting my camera wet.

My photos:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... way_Scenic

#176531  by Noel Weaver

Interesting pictures, thanks for posting them. Hope you are all dried out
by now.
Noel Weaver

#181032  by CSRR573

I was also on the satuday trip its my 5th. on sunday the #21 did get out of the roundhose and went down to the golf course crossing and then went back in the round house.

My pictures:http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... SRRRailfan
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... SRRRailfan
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... SRRRailfan

There was a nice smoke show too!