Railroad Forums 

• Railfan trip to Fostoria, Ohio

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#306997  by AndyB

Railfan trip to Fostoria, Ohio

What a great trip. Quick summary follows:

Thursday, 10/05 we left New Jersey around 6:00 am

1st. stop Harrisburg Amtrak Station then

Enola Yard, Rockville Bridge, Marysville

We then followed the old PRR mainline west, stopping at a number of places. Multipal trains at each location

We stayed over night at the Station Inn, Cresson. The Inn is located right on old PRR right of way. Well across the street.

A large porch with rocking chairs made the evening train watching enjoyable.

Friday, headed west again, stopping at Johnstown and two other spots before hitting I-76 and a run into Ohio bypassing Pittsburgh. In Ohio stops made Youngstown, Akron, Lodi, Greenwich, Willard, Attica, Tiffin and finally Fostoria.

Fostoria! What a railfan town. Three double track main lines cross eachother all within five blocks, all at grade.

When we checked into the Motel, the clerk asked if we were there for the trains and then presented each of us with a folder on Fostoria having maps with local railfan sites and a Ohio state “Railfan” map with rail routes throughout the state. After dinner we headed to the Amtrak station where we stayed until 11:00pm. Saturday was spent all around Fostoria, moving from location to location depending on the sun and traffic. Rail traffic was more like a traffic jam at times. I lost count of the number of trains but it had to be well over 50.

I do not think that there was not a minute that did not have at least one train in view.

Sunday, on the road again Upper Sandusky, Marion, Galion, Wooster, Canton, Alliance, all Ohio.

Then a run to Cumberland, Maryland and overnight stay.

Monday was spent on raifanning Cumberland, Sand Patch grade up to Summit.

What a let down. Two trains in Five Hours.

3:00pm and on the road back to New Jersey.

Covered a little over 1,300 miles in five days.

#307043  by David Benton

thanks andy , for an interesting trip report . The traffic around Fostoria sounds incredible .
I wish we had spurces like railroad .net 15 years ago , when i did my USA trip , to find out about such spots .