Railroad Forums 

• Railfan/Rain Delay

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#168566  by MikeB

Did anybody catch that short story about railfanning at the Steaming Tender (or steaming tender commercial) on during the rain delay of the Sox game last weekend? I was in a bar and was watching a TV with no volume so I had no idea what was going on.

#168586  by NellsChoo

YES! We were at the 99 in Littleton (Westford?). Didn't get to hear it, but we did see it. Was it that phantom gourmet guy?

#168602  by kwf

Yes it was the PG guy, but I didn't hear it either...the food looked good on tv. It has been a while since I've been there...

#168797  by CSX Conductor

Here's the review. They were designated a "Phantom Hidden Jewel", which is just about one of the best rating they give. :-)

Too bad I didn't get held @ CP-83 while heading west on my last few trips on the road. :(

#168840  by octr202

CSX Conductor wrote:Here's the review. They were designated a "Phantom Hidden Jewel", which is just about one of the best rating they give. :-)

Too bad I didn't get held @ CP-83 while heading west on my last few trips on the road. :(
They should let train crews call in orders -- put it on a credit card and they can have it waiting for you as you come by. A 21st century version of picking up orders on the fly. (there's probably some more jokes here too...)

#168934  by oibu

In some areas that's actually a routine type of practice... call the order in on the cell phone when your 20 minutes' running away, tell the pizza place what crossing to be at, slow the train to crawl so the conductor can "make the grab" from the steps, and nocth out...

#168952  by CSX Conductor

Actually Octr, I do that when I am being held somewhere and we are given a heads-up by the dispatcher. 2 regular spots that I do this for when going west are the ice cream place (Parkside DRive-in) at the east end of Palmer Yard, great burgers with a good price and the Route 66 Diner in Wilbraham (@ mp 95.5). :wink: I have many menus for places between Selkirk and Boston but there are only a few that are close enough to the tracks to call them in and grab it when being held for a passing train. :wink:

#168969  by CSX Engineer 98

Thank god for a few of the Dunkin Donuts also along the way.... :wink:

#169087  by w.r.branch

It's common to see crews make their way over to the Steaming Tender while waiting in the controlled siding.

#169152  by Robert Paniagua

CSX Conductor wrote:Actually Octr, I do that when I am being held somewhere and we are given a heads-up by the dispatcher. 2 regular spots that I do this for when going west are the ice cream place (Parkside DRive-in) at the east end of Palmer Yard, great burgers with a good price and the Route 66 Diner in Wilbraham (@ mp 95.5). :wink: I have many menus for places between Selkirk and Boston but there are only a few that are close enough to the tracks to call them in and grab it when being held for a passing train. :wink:
Wow, they let you call in the orders ahead! That's awesome, I never heard of train engineers call in orders to restaurants, but that's how they should be getting their food so that they can stop and grab a bite,. since freight trains don't have their own "cafe car" :-D

#169527  by CSX Conductor

Just call ahead like anyone else would, as long as youi know you are going to have enough time to run and get it before the train you're waiting for passes. :wink:

#171285  by Robert Paniagua

Just call ahead like anyone else would, as long as youi know you are going to have enough time to run and get it before the train you're waiting for passes. :wink:

Oh yeah, that's it, it's a great idea to do that, do it within enough time, and get it. Now I think freight trains ought to have a lounge car for it's crews right behind the engines so that they can relax and eat their stuff rather then be in the engine cabs, which would be a bit uncomfortable.
 #171345  by Xplorer2000

MikeB wrote:Did anybody catch that short story about railfanning at the Steaming Tender (or steaming tender commercial) on during the rain delay of the Sox game last weekend? I was in a bar and was watching a TV with no volume so I had no idea what was going on.
Thats actually at least the second time it ran....I saw it during the regular PG broadcast about two or three weeks ago. Neat place....gotta try me one of their seafood plates.. :wink:
 #171391  by CSX Conductor

Xplorer2000 wrote:Neat place....gotta try me one of their seafood plates.. :wink:
No thanks, I'll stick to Kelly's on Revere Beach for seafood. :P