Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Locations near I-90 in Ohio and Indiana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#661534  by dj_paige

I will be travelling west from Rochester to Chicago soon, along I-90. I'd be interested in knowing some good railfanning spots west of Cleveland and east of Chicago. I guess I'd also like to hear about Fostoria, OH, even thought that's not really "near" I-90. Thanks!
 #662037  by jimnorthwood

Fostoria is good, although the preferred watching spot (the former Amtrak stop) is not exactly the best neighborhood. Park across the tracks from the former depot, but stay off the tracks. Location is adjacent to the NS/CSX diamond. Future plans to build a railfan park adjacent to the other NS/CSX diamond.

Vickers Junction in Northwood (eastern suburb of Toledo) is good, too. Lots of NS and CSX action. Limited access, although a park (not called a railfan park) will be built close, although not adjacent to, the diamond.

Further south off the turnpike, Deshler has a railfan park. Good spot to watch, lots of CSX but very limited amenities in town.
 #662116  by dj_paige

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to locate the "former Amtrak stop"/"former depot" in Fostoria. Could you provide a more specific description of where this is?
 #662133  by jimnorthwood

My Fostoria response wasn't exactly clear, was it. Here is a link to follow http://www.ci.fostoria.oh.us/

Click on city maps and enlarge the map to about 200-300%. The former Amtrak stop/depot is on Main Street, adjacent to the diamond. The depot is used by CSX MOW forces. Best not to park there; instead, park in the lot directly across the tracks. I've never encountered any problems parking there, although I've read accounts of others being told to move on. There is a fair amount of police presence, although this has more to do with the neighborhood activities than in chasing after railfans. The city does go to some length to promote itself as a destination in that regard. I've even hung around there after dark on more than one occasion and had no problems, either with the locals or the police, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for someone who is unfamiliar with the area. Certainly not much in the way of a photo taking spot, but lots and lots of trains.