Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Locations in Cleveland

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#780299  by dj_paige

I am going to be attending the Mid-America Conference Basketball Tournament in Cleveland this weekend, and when I'm not at a basketball game, I'd like to see some train action.

What are some good railfan locations in Cleveland? (At the moment, I'm not really interested in RTA train railfanning and photography, although feel free to convince me otherwise)
 #780408  by dj_paige

I will have a car, although I am not opposed to using public transportation if it gets me to a place where there is no parking.
 #780829  by shlustig

Best location is still Berea where you can park on the former restaurant parking lot on Depot St. NS operates over the Chicago Line and CSX runs over the Short Line / Big 4. Crossover moves between the lines are very rare, but each line sees 40 to 60 trains per day.

West of Berea at Olmsted Falls, the Cuyahoga Valley & West Shore model rr is located in the old depot. Not sure when they are open.

Check the website trainorderpix.com

On the east side of town, you can try E. 305th St. xg where there is off-street parking. This locale has CSX on the Chicago Line and NS on the adjacent x-NKP mainline. Traffic volume on the NKP side is light, but you can tell from the signals if anything is lined up.
 #780870  by atsf sp

For a place to stay while in Cleveland, try the LaQuinta. it is a little outside of the city but it is on the NS mainline and has RTA alongside. There are track views. This is a hevily used line and is right before a yard.
 #817748  by dj_paige

I did make it to Berea, it was pouring cats and dogs that day, I didn't get any good photos :(

Nevertheless, thanks for your help.