Railroad Forums 

• Railfan information regarding the WNY&P

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#29155  by Alcoman

Recently while visiting the Falconer shops of the WNY&P, I encountered a interesting notice on their office door.
The railroad did allow a release to be signed, but.....

This sign in large type said that among other things that no information would be given out regarding train schedules. It also asked that no one talk to the office staff including the dispatcher.

While I am aware that the railroad can get busy as well as the need for staff to concentrate on their job, I do feel that having a policy which is no doubt directed to the railfans a little overkill.

In fact, while I was there, no one offered any information which could have saved me hours standing around waiting for some train actitivity on this what appeared to be a very slow Monday. I waited 4 hours with no trains anyplace, however I knew that one set of locomotives was missing so there appeared to be something going on.

Has anyone else encountered this? On most shortlines, the staff or crew are most willing to give you information regarding train movements.

#29470  by nessman

The WNYP is not a mom & pop shortline operation, but a regional railroad that runs 24/7.

The dispatcher in the WNYP office is responsible for customer service issues, calling crews, providing and coordinating crews and information with NS Train Dispatchers in two offices, as well as NS yardmasters in two locations. Additionally they are responsible for WNYP MOW and C&S operations and budgetary issues.

A few railfans have have made life difficult for the dispatchers by bombarding them with questions and lingering around while they're trying to get work done. Safety is the name of the game on the railroad - a responsibility that the dispatcher must also bear. Distractions by railfans demanding information on train movements and locations hinders their ability to carry out the railroad's safety mission.

See things from the RR's point of view. The railroad is a BUSINESS and business matters must come first before reaching out to the railfan community. The LAL and its subsidiary operations have traditionally been a railfan-friendly company and desire to continue doing so, but the dissemination of information to the railfan community is not an entitlement. Understand that these restrictions are put in place to ensure that the people at the WNYP are able to continue doing their jobs in a safe and efficient manner. Don't be one of the few who ruin it for the rest of us.

#29575  by Alcoman

Aside from the fact that it appeared that things were slow on this Monday that I was there, I am sure it would not have killed anyone to give out train information which may have taken a whole 5 minutes.
I have visited many shortlines and most are more willing to spend a few minues with a visitor to answer questions about train operations.
Quite often in fact, they will call the crew of a train to learn of its location.

I have visited the LA&L many times and asked for train info and received the info I was looking for without any distruption of anyones job. I simply went on my way to photograph some trains.

I have been in Lane tower years ago on the Northeast Corridor(PC) and spent hours with a tower operator talking with him in between him setting track switches and talkiing with crews.
Again, no problem was ever caused by preventing anyone from doing his job.

I can see the possibilty of a few "railfans" spoiling it for others by over staying their welcome, but I also feel that a railroad should not place all railfans into the same catagory.

As a railfan, one should respect them and not distrupt them while they are busy. On the other hand, if they are not busy, I see no harm in talking with employees. Let's remember, this a a small operation, so they most likly are not busy ALL the time. In addition, they are required to take breaks several times a day.

Common sense and respect prevail, but lets not go off the deep end with this issue.

#29583  by nessman

Bottom line is that when you receive permission to be on the property, you are the railroad's guest and nothing more.

Just because an employee doesn't look busy doesn't necessarily mean they're available to chit-chat with anyone who happens to stop by.

Don't assume that when someone is on their break that they want to talk to strangers either. My lunch hour is my lunch hour and I don't care to talk shop when I'm on my time (much less talk to anyone for that matter). Have some respect for the employees. Regardless of what the RR's policy is on railfans, they're not obligated to make small-talk with strangers either.

I see your point in that you drove from the Albany area to Falconer - only to receive what you perceived as the cold shoulder from the RR. Bottom line, it's a business and not every RR employee may treat you the same way as someone else on another line.

Come into my office while I'm working and start asking me questions about my job or my company and odds are you'll get the cold shoulder from me too. Just because I'm not actively working or staring into space for a bit doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. We all need some downtime from the task at hand and people during the work day.

#42935  by Otto Vondrak

I think it's also a security reason too... I heard they have been plagued with a rash of vandalism lately... and they dont want to give out train schedules for that reason....

-otto-