Railroad Forums 

• Railfan Hotspots by I 95

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#980069  by tahawus84

I am driving down to FL in 2 weeks and was wondering if there are any locations off VA where I can go to railfan. I prefer freight but passenger is ok too. I would like to find somewhere where I can park and stay in the car and watch for a few hours. (gfs with me) Probably going to stop in DC for the first night so anywhere between DC and Richmond would be preferred.
 #980090  by Dick H

Ashland Virginia. Right off 95 a mile or so. CSX Double track right down
between two streets. Amtrak stops there also. I have not been there for
several years, but you should be able to park near the station and sit in
your car.
 #980154  by Station Aficionado

I agree with Dick that Ashland is a great best spot--a nice parade of freights and Amtrak. Also, in my experience, you won't get hassled in Ashland, and there are a couple of restaurants right by the track.

A few miles north of Ashland is Doswell where the ex-C&O (now Buckingham Branch) crosses the ex-RF&P (now CSX). There are old depots in both Ashland and Doswell. There is not really good railfan access to Acca Yard (the main CSX yard) in Richmond,at least that I am aware of. If you have time, there is the famous "triple crossing" (NS and two CSX lines) in downtown Richmond near Main St. Station.

Another suggestion near DC is Alexandria Union Station. Many Amtraks, VRE commuter runs and CSX freights (and Metro). It's just a few minutes off the Beltway (95/495).
 #983785  by tahawus84

Ashland was great. Saw 4 amtraks including the auto train and 2 freights in the 4.5 hours I was there. Maybe on the way back ill check out those diamonds in downtown richmond. Are they easily accessible?
 #984719  by Station Aficionado

tahawus84 wrote:Ashland was great. Saw 4 amtraks including the auto train and 2 freights in the 4.5 hours I was there. Maybe on the way back ill check out those diamonds in downtown richmond. Are they easily accessible?
Not diamonds--three railroads stacked one on top of the other. I believe it's the only place in the U.S. where three mainlines cross. Accessible--well, I walked from a hotel (some years back). I don't really know about car access. Others may be able to address access/safety/current hassle factor better than I. EDIT--doing a little prospecting on the internet, I gather views have been compromised by the building of a flood control project. Also, if it's traffic that you want, the crossing will not be as active as Ashland.